5 tarp shelter set-ups

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Nice little Tarp pitching video

[video=youtube;EzlyUC2IKz0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzlyUC2IKz0[/video]

Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
It showed a lean-to with a drip-peak, another lean-to with one end pegged down to form a sort of half-diamond fly/half lean-to, a 3rd lean-to with the corners turned in like a small version of a TrueNorth Big Tarp group shelter rig. 4th was a diamond fly, and 5th a cave. All done with a 11' x 5' silnylon tarp. Straightforward stuff nicely presented.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Nicely done. The first one is my standard pitch for ground camping, using my backpackinglight solo tarp, and it stands up to a massive amount so long at the wind doesn't change direction. It is easily modified into set-up 3 , and by shortening the poles you can bring the rain flap down lower to the ground for more protection. I usually employ one or two 'lifters' on the back for added strength and living space. I have used that in ridiculously heavy rain, and it is great lying there in your sleeping bag with heavy rain coming down just a few feet away but you are completely dry. Saying that, I usually use a bivy bag with this set-up as well, unless I know the weather will be fine.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Some different options using a 3 x 3 tarp. Didn't find any multi-tarp setups.

[video=youtube;9SGFUXpzPGQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SGFUXpzPGQ[/video]

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
that is awesome!well done chaps. i've never used that first one before.

the only point i'd add is that on a gusty night as the wind flaps the tarp about, sometimes unsecured trekking poles can come adrift. or knocked over by fatties moving around inside. :lmao:

a handy Aframe at the entrance can be made using two poles with their wrist straps looped over each other, makes getting in and out a little easier if you don't have to thread your way past a pole. if there's more than one of you, you can use the other bloke's poles as risers on the outside.

bang on! :You_Rock_

cheers, and.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE