5.11 Gear Cheap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Atomic Bimbler

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2006
Cheshunt, Herts
twitter.com
AAARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! I just paid £35 for a pair of 5.11 trousers, could have saved £10. Spendy Spendy when I get paid :D

Good firm though, I got most of my wife's xmas prezzies from them.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I was checking that out the other day too. There's some good prices on Berghaus gear too. Bought me some pants from there, should arrive any time soon.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Regatta Outdoor (Action) trousers are about £15 and very tough and hard wearing.

Strange but true, I was involved in a motorcycle accident which wrote off the bike, Lewis Leather jacket and boots, Gold Top leather gloves and an Arai helmet, yet my Outdoor trousers were fine, protected me well, and the road marks washed out completely!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I don't know, what do your pants do? :rolleyes:

They just last, hard wearing, do the job, no problems with them plus I saved cash.

I must come across as a mean penny pincher but I'm not, I'll just not spend on an alternative bit of kit when a VFM option is available.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
They just last, hard wearing, do the job, no problems with them plus I saved cash.

I must come across as a mean penny pincher but I'm not, I'll just not spend on an alternative bit of kit when a VFM option is available.

Sorry to disagree rik, but you come across as a very knowledgeable man whom is always happy to share your knowledge and tips on gear with fellow members on the forums, and whose contributions are appreciated.

Shrewd and objective, yes, a mean penny pincher, no!

What your pants do is pocket the money which you saved by being shrewd and objective! (o:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmmm,

Well my 5.11 heavy shirts come with in built elbow pads. The cargos come with knee pads. Massively useful in shooting where dropping to one knee or leaning on my elbows is done a lot.

I wear 5.11s and OG lightweights and I think lightweights are the most awful trousers ever created - stupid cinch waist things, old string for tie bottoms, one thigh pocket (if that), not ripstop. They are good for diffing the garden and decorating but not a patch on a better pair of strides.

My 5.11s cost under £25 delivered several years ago and still look great - having been out and about on many long trips and been soaked, muddy, dragged through brambles etc.

I think they are real VFM - good "bang for your buck". Lightweights are okay but they aren't value - just plain cheap.

Red

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
At the prices they are charging, if was looking for gear; I'd jump at them.The shirts in particular. I wear mine regularly,They are really well thought out and put together. My khaki one being more than smart enough to wear almost anywhere. I paid £35 a shot for the two I have and I thought that was a bargain:rolleyes:

The trousers are also very well made and you can fit foam knee pads, the only drawback is the fact that if they get soaked, they stay wet, cold and horribly stiff!:yuck:
For instructing, they are very tough, smart and sparks and flames just more or less shy away.

The old issue lightweights dry a hell of a lot quicker, in fact I regularly used to "walk them dry" when out in the cuds and they never chafed either.

I love my old light weights, they look awfully old fashioned and you need to get the right size but I'd put them ahead of Regatta, Peter Storm and b.d.u.'s any day:p

So, what I'd do; is buy a couple of 5:11 shirts, a couple of pairs of 5:11 trousers ( and try one pair of foam inserts) and with some of the money saved, buy a couple of pairs of lightweights to change into if your 5:11's get soaked;)

robadams

Forager
Aug 19, 2004
Hampshire
Here's a quick question. How do the sizes work out. I am short assed 33 inch waist with a 29 inch leg so sometimes I can fit a 32 but most 34s are a bit too big.
How do you find the fit?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Fairly generous - theres some elastic in the waist to allow some "give" - I'd go smaller over larger

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Here's a quick question. How do the sizes work out. I am short assed 33 inch waist with a 29 inch leg so sometimes I can fit a 32 but most 34s are a bit too big.
How do you find the fit?

I'm also a short axxe! 32 waist x 28 leg :rolleyes:
The 32's are well spacious,tending towards "baggy" really, as Red says; they're elasticated too, so I'd reckon you'd be fine round the middle.
The legs?....well it's the same tale as always for us pixies! you just have to take them up a bit or blouse them, depending on what you want to use them for.
If you don't want to blouse them, go for the 32x30's, this gives you less to take up. If you want to blouse them, then get the 32x32's as this will give you more to tuck in.
I'm not sure if M&M do the pads but they are an excellent addition to the trews;)
This probably wont help much:
these are 32's
Bark-container008copy.jpg

that's me last summer, as I say; loose to baggy on me!
hope this helps:)
all the best
Steve

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi, just got my 5.11 shirt from M&M today :) :) what a good company to deal with also
not being ripped off with the postage. Thanks McShug .
Cheers Topknot

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE