5.11 72 hour rush pack owners opinions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Im very tempted to order one of these, not my usual cup of tea but i quite like the idea of a pack thats adaptable and organised. The only real worry i have isnif there is enough room for large items like sleeping equipment and clothes etc, also what its like when you start adding extra pouches and weight.
It would be great if someone who has used one could let me no.
Thanks alot ash

SI-Den

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2011
Norfolk
Hi

Not used the 5.11 72hr pack - seems expensive from what I've see. However I have used the Bulle UK 72hr pack (from flecktarn.co.uk)

Very similar looking pack and I've found it big enough or a light weekend away - I can get a sleeping bag, bivi bag, food & cook set and some other odds & ends inside with a tarp strapped to outside.

Hope that helps!

Den

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Cheers pal its possibly a bit small for me then. Its dificult to tel its not like a normal pack were 40l is just a main compartment and two side pockets, the size is spread over quite a few pockets.
Iv seen lote of diferent molle type packs alot of which look great but arnt made by particaly well known companys so i dont want to spend alot of money to find its not very good or too small. Il have to keep looking i think. Thanks alot mate ash

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I think for the stuff you wanna carry this bag just ain't big enough, there's only so much you can strap onto the outside. also they have short backs & the waist strap ends up around your stomach making carring heavy loads on your shoulders very uncomfortable ( but that depends on your torso length ) I know what it's like though, when you 've got your heart set on something even though you know it won't be suitable..........

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
I no mate i think i replied at same time as you mate, iv seen some other 60l molle packs i prefare similar to blackhawk packs one being multicam another disciple but iv no idea if there any good and there around £100 so i want to be sure before i have yet another pack:-[
Cheers for the help ash

GoatBoy666

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2005
West London
I own a 5.11 72hour pack in OD.
In my experience it very roomy, lots of internal pockets (almost to many).
Has a large external flap pocket which is very useful.
But not sure if it would handle FULL winter kit (have to go check), but fine for
everything else.
Build quality great.
Its not to bad with extra pouches, depends on their size and weight. Have to be careful with the positions to keep
it balenced. Pack uses a yoke style carrying rig so that heavyweight loads are easier to handle. Seems to work.
I checked out the bulle kit and others before I purchased the 5.11.
The 5.11 was bigger and the build quality was in a different league.
Any questions let me know.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Cheers pal iv just received a 5.11 rush 12 in multicam. The method in my madness being i can use it as my edc and keep all my bushcraft kit in there except my sleeping gear which il keep in my bergen then when im doing a trip i can just chuck the 12 in the top of the bergen and still have room for food etc.
I dont like moving my gear from one bag to another and i dont want to be lugging a large pack around when im just out walking the dogs in the woods which is most days.
Im going to do a full review on the rush 12 in a few days but so far im very imprest for 21L it holds a huge amount and is very practical it easily matches my karrimor sabre hydro 30L.
Im just wanting to get a couple of pouches.
But your right mate there very well made indeed not a single bit of loose thread anyware.
I might be tempted with a 72 at some point though.
Thanks alot for your help though its good to no you havnt found any problems with yours.
Cheers ash

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Quick pick till i do a review i cant be bothered to get off the sofa though:-]
c1238428-3ec2-a1dd.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Mitchellsfold

Oct 4, 2011
Somerset
I own a 5.11 72hour pack in OD.
In my experience it very roomy, lots of internal pockets (almost to many).
Has a large external flap pocket which is very useful.
But not sure if it would handle FULL winter kit (have to go check), but fine for
everything else.
Build quality great.
Its not to bad with extra pouches, depends on their size and weight. Have to be careful with the positions to keep
it balenced. Pack uses a yoke style carrying rig so that heavyweight loads are easier to handle. Seems to work.
I checked out the bulle kit and others before I purchased the 5.11.
The 5.11 was bigger and the build quality was in a different league.
Any questions let me know.
Buddy - do you still own the R72?
I'm looking for a bushy bag bigger than my R24 but not as big and heavy as the sabre 75!
Still happy or have you changed it?
Andy

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I have the Rush 72 a great weekend bag for the summer, I would not get my winter gear in this bag, the sleeping bag would fill it! It's a very well thought out bag and useful pockets through out, the front pocket is very useful and with the ability to put kit behind it comes in handy with waterproofs. I like to keep most of my kit inside my bag.

If you plan to walk with this bag any distance, I have found it extremely comfortable, I'm 5'11" and fits me well and carries the load evenly as long as you pack it right.

i haven't used the hydration pocket for a bladder and in fact use this to put tarps in and attach my bladder on the outside for easy access for re filling etc.

the Molly points are plenty and handy for adding the odd pouch, I have two small ones for snacks and go on the body belt and my first aid kit on the side.

all in all a good bomb proof bag, it's not huge, so makes you pack only what you need, rather than, we all do it, "this might come in handy" line of thought.

hope this is of some help.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE