4lb Hultafors Bruks Refurb

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I got this Axe about a month ago, the 36" Helve was split, and the head was rusty but not too badly pitted, and was the weight that I wanted to use in the field for splitting without having a large Splitting Maul, and to be used as a felling axe as well.

I have lost the Earlier Pics due to SD card failure, which is a pain.

I Drilled the Old Helve out as it was nice and tight, then soaked the head in Vinegar once the rust was removed the Poll had a bit of mushrooming to it so I cleaned that up on the linisher, then gave the head a quick buff up with Autosol, I wanted to leave the battle scars and leaf the aging marks as best I could,

At the Last Suffolk Monthly meet I roughed out the 28" Helve and let it dry indoors for about 3 weeks, finished the Helve a fitted the Head this morning, using a Mahogany wedge, I do like the contrast between then two woods.

I went for a slightly shorter Helve to keep it unwieldy around the camp site, remembering I want it mainly for a splitter then a feller, the grip is quite comfortable, but once in use I have a felling that the Throat may need a bit more relief. I know that the grain is across the Helve, I noticed my mistake after roughing out, and I not going to waste a nice bit of wood.

DSC_0942.jpgDSC_0947.jpg

DSC_0967.jpgDSC_0968.jpg

DSC_0965.jpg

I am going to make a Mask for it once my next order of Veg Tan arrives next week , hopfully will get to use it at the Suffolk meet next weekend

Hope you like.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Nice axe, and you've done a great job. I'm working on an Elwell 3lb axe, but I don't have the power tools to help me and it is taking an age to get the head cleaned up.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Nice axe, and you've done a great job. I'm working on an Elwell 3lb axe, but I don't have the power tools to help me and it is taking an age to get the head cleaned up.

I know the feeling the last one I did all by hand, just dump the Head in a tub of vinager for a few days, that cleans off the rust, this one had Poll damage and I was down the workshop makeing tripods so just linished it for speed, I got a nice Elwell 2.5lb Kent Pattern at the mo, with a real mushroom, so that will be linished.

Also have a John Riley and Son's Kent Pattern head, not sure of the weight yet got to weigh it.. but think its less then 1 1/2lb, its quite small, that was very rusty, and pitted, but was in soak for about 4 days, then rubbed down with Pan Scourer, it has come out better then I thought.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE