48 hour food pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Pack'n'Go dehydrated rations are pretty good as dehydrated rations go. A 24hr pack is about 600g and fits in a pocket. (As long as it's a reasonably large pocket... ;))

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Contaminated water would be my greatest concern, what is it contaminated with, is filtering and boiling sufficient. My rule of thumb is that if the man says bring sufficient for two days I take four days worth, don't forget the wet wipes, towel and tooth brush.

Have a good time, Pothunter.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
What about pemmican?

"Traditionally pemmican was prepared from the lean meat of large game animals such as buffalo, elk or deer. The meat was cut in thin slices and dried over a slow fire, or in the hot sun until it was hard and brittle. Then it was pounded into very small pieces, almost powder-like in consistency, using stones. The pounded meat was mixed with melted fat with a ratio of approximately 50% pounded meat and 50% melted fat. In some cases, dried fruits such as saskatoon berries, cranberries, blueberries, or choke cherries were pounded into powder and then added to the meat/fat mixture. The resulting mixture was then packed into "green" rawhide pouches for storage."

The Wikipedia entry provides some recipe links...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pemmican

And more can be found here...

http://www.lns.cornell.edu/~seb/pemmican.html

My idea was rejected as he wanted something edible after the trip. Pemmican is just as bad as lard, the stuff I made has aquired a subtle fishy taste, don't know how as it's made from beef, with some oats in some of it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE