48 hour food pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I going to need an emergency food pack.

but it needs to be as small as poss, so I dont think a rat pack would do

I will have access to water

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
are you vegetarian/allergic to any foodstuffs?
personally I'd pack granola bars, couscous, mini pepperami, stock cubes, packet soup, packet porridge. all high calorie stuff.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
A big piece of lard? 500g would set you up for 2 days, with 2250 calories a day. Keeps well and is cheap.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I would go with lifeboat rations as well!
Unlike other choices these are so unapealing that you know that no one wil dip in to them for a nibble and they will be intact when you need them!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
That would certainly seem a good idea but Id like something that I would want to eat afterwards if I didnt use them in an emergency.

(or do they keep yonks?)

Does anyone have any to swap for something?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I going to need an emergency food pack.

but it needs to be as small as poss, so I dont think a rat pack would do

I will have access to water

Where will you be, climate etc? Rat packs are not that big if you unpack them and spread the load.

48 hours, you could live on cup a soups for two or three days so long as you have a method of boiling water, add butter to them to boost the energy content.

So, 48 hours, boring but will keep you going, try muesli + dried milk + extra sugar for brekkie, cup a soup + butter for lunch and a little rice, salami and cup a soup poured over it for the evening, long life pita bread to pad things out if you have room; boring but you won't feel that hungry.

Anyone old enough to remember Turblokken rations?

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
If you've not got a way of cooking then a good cheap idea is crushed Sugar Puffs and powdered milk ( the type you make with cold water ) you could also add a vitamin C tablet or 2.

To consume outside of your emergency, throw a few spoonfuls at a time in porridge or bread/cake mixes.

H

He' s left the building

You could visit your local Holland&Barrett food shop and see which types of meal-replacement and food bars they sell (eg Powerbars). Then buy one of everything and eat your way through them until you identify the ones you like (or failing that, until you find one that you could tolerate for 48 hours!)

Go back and buy a dozen of the one(s) you like most.

Do the same with an isotonic drink-powder and buy some that are already packed in individual sachets.

Seal 48-hours worth of bars, powder and water purifying tablets in zip-lock bags.

Job done, you'll probably find the pack has a shelf-life of at least one-two years and can be rotated with your usual outdoor stuff easily for a low-cost low-tech option.

If you're anything like me, you'll also need something caffeine-based. I find I can get by on a few sachets of the instant coffee drinks (instant coffee, milk and sugar already mixed, available from all the usual supermarkets) if its just for a limited period (and assuming you can heat water)

I recently completed a 60 mile route over a 24-hr period, so I can vouch for this feeding method!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You could visit your local Holland&Barrett food shop and see which types of meal-replacement and food bars they sell (eg Powerbars). Then buy one of everything and eat your way through them until you identify the ones you like (or failing that, until you find one that you could tolerate for 48 hours!)

Go back and buy a dozen of the one(s) you like most.

Do the same with an isotonic drink-powder and buy some that are already packed in individual sachets.

Seal 48-hours worth of bars, powder and water purifying tablets in zip-lock bags.

Job done, you'll probably find the pack has a shelf-life of at least one-two years and can be rotated with your usual outdoor stuff easily for a low-cost low-tech option.

If you're anything like me, you'll also need something caffeine-based. I find I can get by on a few sachets of the instant coffee drinks (instant coffee, milk and sugar already mixed, available from all the usual supermarkets) if its just for a limited period (and assuming you can heat water)

I recently completed a 60 mile route over a 24-hr period, so I can vouch for this feeding method!

There was an online comparison of 'energy bars' (I'll try and find the link), in the top five was the tried and tested Nestle Kit Kat bar, as good if not better than most of the expensive competition :rolleyes:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
The powerbar option sounds a good idea.

I have a few american MREs with heaters, Ill have a look in my oddments box, Im sure I can pack up something credible.

In fact I might not need to take anything at all (leaving more room for my sarnies...not that I like sandwedges much...I prefer hot food)

This is for a proposed trip to North Rona (very much dependent on others booking the charter...we will see) an island difficult to get on and one with a bad history of strandings.

Scottish Natural Heritage specificaly reccomend you take a supply of food. (they dont want you eating their wildlife.)

There is a lighthouse there. Do Northern Lights leave emergency supplies there?

Also a hut used by the university when they study seals... `allegedly` unlocked

(Ill have to ask them if this is true, and what supplies they do leave, as I would imagine they do,)

No surface water but several wells (contaminated but thats no big issue)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Um, well, landing is of the `heroic leap off wildly moving boat, followed by scramble up cliff` kind.

Ill be wearing my multi pocket vest, but big bags will not be practical...and may have to be ditched.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
In that case, pack everything in a dry bag with straps on it. Before you you jump off the boat, throw the dry bag over the side with a leash to you and then you go for it. When you get onto the beach, drag the dry bag up to you, and if needed you could use it as a flotation aid when making your way to land.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
What about pemmican?

"Traditionally pemmican was prepared from the lean meat of large game animals such as buffalo, elk or deer. The meat was cut in thin slices and dried over a slow fire, or in the hot sun until it was hard and brittle. Then it was pounded into very small pieces, almost powder-like in consistency, using stones. The pounded meat was mixed with melted fat with a ratio of approximately 50% pounded meat and 50% melted fat. In some cases, dried fruits such as saskatoon berries, cranberries, blueberries, or choke cherries were pounded into powder and then added to the meat/fat mixture. The resulting mixture was then packed into "green" rawhide pouches for storage."

The Wikipedia entry provides some recipe links...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pemmican

And more can be found here...

http://www.lns.cornell.edu/~seb/pemmican.html

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
You might consider taking a pre-mac water filter with you too, if you don't think you can access clean drinking water. If you want hot food - Rat Packs/Wayfayer food are high calorie and pretty good. Strip the packs down and just take a few pouches - 4 main meals, the drinks pack and a couple of biscuits brown or fruit will keep you going for 48 hours quite easily and will last for years.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE