3x3 or 3x4.5 DD tarp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ian H

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2009
South Wales
Going to be buying a DD tarp (when they are finally back in stock!) i was originally going to buy a 3x3 tarp, but looked today and noticed they are now selling a 3x4.5 for £10 extra. Is the bigger tarp worth it? dont want to get into a situation where i cant set up for the night because i cant find some trees that are far enough apart!!

it stills weighs in at under a kilo so pretty light too.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I was thinking of that too, but was going to have the length across the hammock so distance between trees wouldn't change ;)

My thinking was that I might get my son's scout hammock and mine, side by side under a wider one...

Ian H

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2009
South Wales
i thought about the length across the hammock like that, but then realised the loops on the top would be facing the wrong way? (unless thats how they have placed them? if so i think i have answered my own question and would probs get the 4.5!)

edit

just looked at the gallery and the hoops go the 4.5m length

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Is this modifiable? Is it worth it? See, being a newb to the hammock thing, I hadn't even thought to check... :eek:

Might not bother...

Ian H

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2009
South Wales
dont worry im new to it all too, just thought i would check first! :p

although thinking about it im sure you could just use the outer loops around the edge and pitch it sideways? although may have a slight dip in the middle? no idea! i think im leaning more towards the 4.5 though as im sure the extra room will be handy for when i use it on the floor and when the british weather turns really bad!

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I'd go for the larger if given the option and it defiantly is a benefit if you are using a tarp in my view.

If you are worried it is too big, I wouldn't - you can still pitch with the 3m as the ridge and just have a wide width! ;)

Gailainne

Life Member
I agree with Graham, lightweight large tarps are a godsend, there is is some funky high end materials being used for tarps nowadays, but you will pay thru the nose for them. DD's is a good size for a good price, if I don't go the high tech route I will be ordering one, probably will anyway :eek:

Stephen

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
you can always pitch it over the ridge line, as long as you put drip lines on it is fine ;)

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
thinking about it I'm pretty sure my tatonka tarp only has one loop in the 'middle' and it is 3mx3m

Gailainne

Life Member
And no-one reckons the loops will be a hindrance for setting up with the 3m as the ridge? :confused:

Not sure what you mean, the loops are on the perimeter of the tarp, when you rig the tarp on a ridgeline the tarp sits on top of it, you tension the tarp attaching lines to the loops then to pegs in the ground, or directly pegging the tarp to the ground through the loops.

If that's not clear to you let me know and I'll look out some photos which should help.

Stephen

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The perimeter loops on my 3x3 DD are long enough to be able to twist ninety degrees and pitch the other way so I'm sure the 4.5 will be the same. Or you can lay the tarp over the top like the guys have already said. I prefer to hang mine underneath and use prusics to tighten it up, I can't see the bigger one being any different tbh.

forestwalker

My big one is 3x3, I never use a hammock, but for ground-sleeping it is luxurious for one, plenty for two adults, ok for three, and very cramped for four. I'd only get a larger one if I was going to set up semi-permanent workshops outdoors, not for sleeping.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Shewie is bob on, the loops are long enough to twist through 90 degrees. There's a review here which has a photo of it with a 3m ridge. I think it's big for a hammock setup but I know some people like the extra space. For myself and my lad we are usually under 2 different tarps but still in sight of each other;

2459290515_f819ce8323.jpg

It's a great bit of kit for the money and it's ridiculously cheap!!

Cheers,

Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE