3 Days, very minimal load......

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
Recently, I went tracking for a few days in a large woodland, which is an SSSI. It has fallow and muntjac, with numerous small creatures everywhere. My friend and I were tracking the deer and were rather successful. We have permission to camp in a wood block near by, so always hitch up there and head for the SSSI when we are ready. The wood block is small, but untamed ancient woodland, which also has a nice shallow stream so for us it is perfect. Over a late night brew we decided that we could do a 'minimal' trip for a few days, probably late march, early april. After much deliberation, this will be my kit list:

Tarp
Wool blanket
knife
saw
Billy can
Wool shirt
Small wash kit
Wool hat
Food, which will consist of Bannock mix, dried meat and dried fruit, coffee and water. This will also be supplemented by foraging. I plan to take a fresh, butcher prep'd rabbit.

We are going to do this mainly because I think a lot of the stuff we had on us was surplus to requirement and we could of done it much lighter. Lets see how it goes eh?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
You'll have a job foraging at this time of the year - April is the cruellest month, and all that; take the advice above and pack plenty of carbs. :)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Take a lighter, even if you've not got the intention of using it it's a great backup in case you're in trouble and even if you're hungry it's better to be warm and hungry than cold, wet and hungry....
I'd bin the wash kit and take some wipes in a small FAC, you can wash with just water for the most part and the wipes can be used to clean sensitive areas or around wounds or your hands if need be.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
I'd definitely take some plasters and antiseptic wipes or cream just in case. I think the others are right regarding food. Also at that time of year I don't think a wool blanket will be enough a windy night at that time of year will create very chilly sleeping conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
At that time of year, Primroses are a good source, IIRC, the whole plant is edible, and the roots provide one of the few sources of Carbs out there. (tho careful, as you don't have a right to the roots under the 4F's.)

Does the stream have any rushes that you can eat the roots from (can you use them at this time of year?) ? You're gonna want to take some carbs with you if not.

Good luck, that wool blanket may be optimistic in April.

J

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
thanks for advice so far.... Although the food doesn't look like much as you read it, I will carry more than enough in quantity! The wood is reasonably well sheltered so wind won't be too big an issue so long as I rig my tarp up correctly.... I have gone with much less for longer previously. I don't intend to make the trip into some sort of reality tv style survivor/bear grylls epic, just have a few relaxing days, watching the wild life and foraging a little.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE