2mm Paracord

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Can anyone recommend a UK source of ~1-2mm cord suitable for guy ropes?

Am after something affordable and lighter weight to replace my 3mm paracord guy lines. Something that will work with line-lok mini's (CL266)[1], and in a suitably subdued colour, OG for preference.

Any ideas?

Thanks

J

[1] - http://www.clamcleat.com/cleats/cleat_details.asp?theid2=95

There is a group buy for green 1mm Dyneema at the moment. Rated at 200lbs! Don't know how it would perform with the mini cleats.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Or just some normal 2mm accessory cord. Cheaper & no point in having lines wit ha greater breaking strength than the attachment points on the tent. Better t obreak a line than the shelter.

Thats a good point too. my tarp lines have built in self tensioning bungees to soak up wind movement and keep a taught pitch

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Or just some normal 2mm accessory cord. Cheaper & no point in having lines wit ha greater breaking strength than the attachment points on the tent. Better t obreak a line than the shelter.

The line locs will slip before the shelter breaks though-it's a non-issue.

For me, the behaviour of the line is more important than anything else and a line that doesn't tangle makes pitching and packing away again much easier. I find all the accessory cord I've handled too tangly.

I use Marlows or English braids marine polyester sheathed 2mm dyneema as it generally 'handles' better than any other line IMO for tie-outs.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
The line locs will slip before the shelter breaks though-it's a non-issue.

For me, the behaviour of the line is more important than anything else and a line that doesn't tangle makes pitching and packing away again much easier. I find all the accessory cord I've handled too tangly.

I use Marlows or English braids marine polyester sheathed 2mm dyneema as it generally 'handles' better than any other line IMO for tie-outs.

I take it that it is way better than the cord they put on a Tentipi? I am able to just tug the guys on my Tentipi and they snap!

I guess you are referring to this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dyneema-2...orting_Goods_Sailing&var=&hash=item3a83dbe916

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Interestingly (or not!), both Kifaru and Seekoutside don't recommend any form of paracord for guylines, as it is too stretchy.

I think the logic of this is that, in normal conditions, you'll get tent-sag, which you'll have to keep adjusting. And in high winds - and both of the above-mentioned tipi ranges have regularly been tested and survived 50-60 mph winds - the importance of the original shape of the tipi in deflecting winds will be compromised if the tent starts sagging, and therefore presents a non-ideal shape to the wind and therefore higher point loading. (Or I may be completely wrong:) )

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Interestingly (or not!), both Kifaru and Seekoutside don't recommend any form of paracord for guylines, as it is too stretchy.

I think the logic of this is that, in normal conditions, you'll get tent-sag, which you'll have to keep adjusting. And in high winds - and both of the above-mentioned tipi ranges have regularly been tested and survived 50-60 mph winds - the importance of the original shape of the tipi in deflecting winds will be compromised if the tent starts sagging, and therefore presents a non-ideal shape to the wind and therefore higher point loading. (Or I may be completely wrong:) )

Yep, I heard paracord stretches but the Dyneema based cord should have only 1% stretch according to its stats.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE