28 second Kerosene (heating oil) in Tilley lamps?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 31, 2022
UK
Premium paraffin comes at a hefty price premium and the recent standard for heating oil (28sec kero) improved, particularly regarding sulfur content.
Could anybody share first hand experience using fresh heating oil in a paraffin lamp, particularly indoors?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
There's very little difference between diesel, 28s heating oil and paraffin; they all burn with about the same amount of energy and they all give off smoke if combustion isn't quite right. Lamp oil gives off less smoke in my experience but I have frequently used diesel and 28s oil in my lamps and burners.

If you want to use 28s oil in a diesel engine (like a generator), you're advised to add a small amount of 2-stroke oil. BTW, it is legal to use red diesel for domestic generators :)

Sorry, more than you asked, but others may be interested. I particularly wanted to run my generator from the heating oil which is why I looked into it in depth.

Aug 31, 2022
UK
Many thanks! I found a service station, that sells heating oil from a pump, apparently they have many customers putting the new, low sulfur 28s in their lamps. I am definitely stocking up then and forget the hyperinflated £2.2+/L stuff.

Yes, generator use, although very limited might come up, glad for the info! At least I can keep only one kind of fuel at home, definitely an advantage. 2T oil I have, for a boat engine anyway.

Hugh the Boatman

Jan 26, 2023
Scotland
I have just joined the forum today to learn more about how I can improve my resilience in a remote community. I have a selection of camping equipment, ranging between older stuff like 1940's paraffin stoves and Tilley lamps, to modern Primus and Optimus multifuel stoves. The Tilleys are mostly 246's and of course even the fanciest stoves are useless if you can't see what you are doing, so I am now about to test some 'Chinese lanterns' with mantles, that screw onto modern camping canisters. I also have also a few new wick-type 'hurricane' lanterns along with much older Aladdins. I am wondering which lamp types can be used indoors when filled with 28-sec heating oil and which must run off 'paraffin'.
I spend most of my time in a town in Orkney but a couple of months each year on another island, 15 miles from its only shop. I have a diesel car, spare batteries, an inverter and access to red diesel. I think I'm reasonably prepared but I'm most interested in folks' thoughts about the fuels suitable for indoor wick lanterns.
Thanks in advance for any comments, advice and questions. H

Dec 11, 2022
Shetland
In Shetland our heating fuel is Jet A1 kerosene and works in all my Primus type stoves and Tilley lamps. Luckily as we had a big power cut before Christmas. Jet A1 is the fuel used for helicopters which fly out to the rigs from here.

Reactions: nigelp

Hugh the Boatman

Jan 26, 2023
Scotland
In Shetland our heating fuel is Jet A1 kerosene and works in all my Primus type stoves and Tilley lamps. Luckily as we had a big power cut before Christmas. Jet A1 is the fuel used for helicopters which fly out to the rigs from here.
That's interesting BigScott. Does it smell different in a Tilley from what it smelled like when I was under Rescue 137 in a Coastguard RIB?

Reactions: BigScott

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE