2500 year old tattoos

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Is tattooing a traditional craft? Maybe it was 2500 years ago.

This article from the Siberian times shows the intricate body art found on several Pazyryk people whose bodies were preserved in the Altai permafrost.

(The linked article shows some photographs of the bodies, so perhaps not child friendly)

Enjoy. :)

qTFIu.jpg

XlBZY.jpg

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you for the link :cool:

Makes you wonder what our own people of the Bronze and Iron age tribes that amalgamated to become Picts & Scots would have looked like :) the fantastic beasts carved on the stones, were they too tattooed on their skins ?

cheers,
M

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I wonder if there were distinctive tats, which showed which native tribe you belonged to in the 1st C and back into the mesolithic?

Wonder what the Brigantes or Parisi tribe would have had? [Yorkshire]

**And would the Parisi [East yorkshire] have been identical to the tribe in Modern Day Paris?

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Thank you for the link :cool:

Makes you wonder what our own people of the Bronze and Iron age tribes that amalgamated to become Picts & Scots would have looked like :) the fantastic beasts carved on the stones, were they too tattooed on their skins ?

cheers,
M

Bede suggested that the Picts were descended from the Scythians, the people buried at Altai had some relationship with the people who would eventually be known as the Scythians, so who knows?

The Scythians certainly got around so we probably all have a little Scythian blood somewhere. :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I read one of the books written when these bodies were found and there is lots of drawings and photos.

A lot of the designs are very modern and would be of great interest to any craftsperson, not just a tattooist.

There was a lot of delightful applice and leatherwork.

Im suprised no one has explored these avenues.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I dont think that was the book I read.The description of how the ice burials worked was interesting too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE