2010 - last knife of the year...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
I'm always making knives for others and rarely manage to find the time to make one for myself. Given that I had a little free time to myself this Christmas break, I decided to knock something out for yours truly.

This is my last knife of 2010:

2010.jpg

Stabilised Cocobolo slabs, my own mosaic pins, and my own hand forged twist Damascus using 1095 and L6 mixed. Using this mix I manage to get both materials properly hardened and tempered during heat treating so there are no soft spots where the layers run out at the edge.

I have been experimenting more and more with lower layer counts - not so very long ago if it wasn't in the high hundreds I wouldn't bother with it, but I am liking what I can coax out of the 30 - 100 layer range so I plan on doing more of them next year.

5mm thick at the spine with a distal tapered blade, convex ground right from the spine.

Note: my convex is basically a hybrid of full flat from the spine. I grind full flat and leave the edge a little thick and then convex out the last third of the blade to give my convex edge. This is strong and, unlike many convex grinds, it produces slim blades that can really slice ;)

I won't carry a knife outdoors unless it's a great slicer...

The blade is triple tempered - soaked in liquid nitrogen for 24 hours after the first 2 hour temper and then tempered another two cycles after that.

I gave this one a light etch since I want the pattern will come to life as the knife ages and sees some work.

It's very similar to a knife I made a while ago which I really liked, but this one has a finer taper to the blade and the spine drops to the tip in a more gradual curve.

I will try to get better pictures in the New Year once I make a sheath for it but, for now, I'm a happy bladesmith :)

Wishing everyone all you wish yourselves for a happy and healthy 2011 :D

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
That is a really nice looking knife. The blade shape and grind sound like just my kinda thing, In fact the whole knife is my kind of thing. Tis a beaut!!!

A Happy New Year to you too.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Keeping in mind that I am in the running for the title of "world's worst photographer", here are a couple more pictures taken today while working with the knife:

With my GB mini hatchet and my Wharncliffe neck knife, also in Cocobolo and my own Damascus::
2010-1.jpg

And with the GB mini on its own:
2010-2.jpg

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
right thats it, IM MAKING BAMASCUS NEXT WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!!

awesome blades, i seem to make ok blades but never finish the handles......

regards.

chris.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE