2009 Honey Stove - Initial review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
My Honey Stove arrived last week, ordered from http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/default.asp. It arrived next day, with a free pack of Skittles and was followed by a courtesy call to make sure I was happy with it - there's service for you!

Technical specs first:
Weight
Side Panels 5 x 40g - Fire Door 23g - Base Grill 57g
Mid Grill 27g - Top Grill 32g - Supplied in cordura bag with space for tinder
When packed flat dimensions: 15cm x 15cm x 1cm

Total if all carried: 339g

Designed and manufactured in UK in .7mm Stainless Steel

I used the stove last weekend on a woodland overnighter and was very impressed with it. I used it with small twigs (from matchstick size up to thumb thickness) and it burnt them to a fine ash with no big lumps left unburnt, with a 900ml Ti cook pot.
DSCN3009.jpg

The reason I bought the Honey Stove (apart from it being shiney!) was it fits inside a 16cm Zebra billy can.
DSCN3029.jpg

This suits my needs, as these days both of my kids tend to come with me for day bimbles, so I need something that is big enough to cook for 3 and contain everything that I need inside it.
DSCN3030.jpg

Inside the billy is:
  • 3 Sporks
  • 1 fold a mug
  • Condiments
  • Tatonka meths burner
  • 3 X-bowls
  • pot grab
  • Ferro rod
  • Lighter
  • Honey Stove
  • Zebra plate thingy - drilled to act as a colander/sieve for pasta or rice

The Tatonka burner is a very snug fit, and does need to be pushed firmly into place, but comes out easily enough too.
DSCN3031.jpg

Overall, I am very impressed with this stove as it allows me to burn different fuels and use which ever pot / billy I choose on the day. I can see this rapidly becoming a bushcraft classic because of its lightweight and flexibility.

Bob has done a very good 10 minute video on You Tube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koq6xpkKn9k

Usual disclaimer... I have no link to Back Packing Light, just a very satisfied customer over the years.

Simon

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I like the style, but I prefer the ability of the tentipi firebox to work with two pots, and take larger "logs" for longer burning times. I'm thinking about adapting the NimbleNomad stove to be the same size as the firebox, and make it in stainless steel (or Ti if I can find it for money I can afford).

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Christened mine this morning during a brew stop whilst tracking a few Sika with a mate.

Very happy with the performance using mainly birch and beech, I took my Tatonka but never bothered testing with it.

Cracking bit of kit

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE