20 minutes to kill...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Ive been feeling the need to make a folding bow saw for a long time, but time pressures elsewhere mean im struggling to get out in the woods never mind able to sit down and actually put one together....

However had a spare 20 minutes (unheard of in my house/work/farm -life balance) and very roughly threw this 24" bow saw together.

430e7edd1459d37f8fe524454f5c26d4.jpg

Its rough, very rough, and made from pine bed slats but so far its holding up and will be the benchmark from which i make a much more refined and longer lasting saw.

My question to you knowledgeable folk is which wood would be best, considering its weight and ability to hold up to some serious use.

I have some beech and oak which would need to be planed but could be set to task if its suitable.

Cheers!
Paul.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
A very nice and handy little saw there goodjob

As for wood, I've seen them made from both beech and oak and they've been excellent saws. It's more about the design than the actual wood

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've had great success with Holly or Ash for the side pieces, as they are both very springy and resilient woods, and something solid like Beech or Oak for the cross piece. But to be honest, for the sort of use theses are put too almost any of the commonly collectible native hardwoods will do very nicely, and can easily be made to look very nice too, always a great bonus :)

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
Ideal. I've been thinking ULTRA-LITE - I'm sure 1 could be simply upcycled from light leftovers with one of those wee coil-up saw blades that look like this:
O-------------------------------------------------------------------O
= ideas anyone?

Nativewood

Forager
Feb 9, 2015
Caledonia
Fraxinus made his from Ash? Never....:p

Next you'll be telling me that Quercus made one from Oak and Ilex from Holly. :D

Nice saw, must make myself one of those someday.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Cheers guys...will get cracking with mark II when i get a chance. Ive got some old narrow aluminium c-section under my desk at work which is crying out to be turned into an ultra-light bow saw too. Theres something way more satisfying about working with wood though...

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Fraxinus made his from Ash? Never....:p

Next you'll be telling me that Quercus made one from Oak and Ilex from Holly. :D

Nice saw, must make myself one of those someday.

:lmao: My forum name comes from the fact that my usual one was not allowed and I was working on a big ash job at the time, make time to make one, it is worth it.:)

Rob.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE