2 weeks away in a tin tent.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Holidays are now booked. There are 6 of us including a 5 and boisterous 3 year old, so we've decided to take the caravan. This time however, I had the deciding say in location.
We've stopped in some nice places (holme valley camping in honley) with nice woodland and steams, but also some vile places.
This time its at a place called spiers house in Pickering. Part of a company called camping in the forest.
I've booked a pitch beside the trees, so a good morning mooch will be on the cards almost daily.
They run a scheme with 'forest rangers' where they teach 'survival skills' which will be nice for the kids. (Don't think it will be up to par with real schools), but I liked the idea of being able to 'play' in the woods.
I'm taking the hammock obviously, so may get some peace and quiet one night.
If its any good I'll put up a review afterwards.

sent from my Jelly Bean'd galaxy nexus.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I've stayed on a few of those (Forestry Commission as was) sites in years gone by. Always found them very good, if a bit on the pricey side. I was a bit E. of there last year; Hole of Horcum & Newtondale.

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Can heartily recomend the Monkmans Slaughter @6%, which is a regular at The New Inn, which is the Cropton brewery tap; and the Old Goat which I've only ever seen in bottles <> 8% if my memory serves me correctly.

If you contact them you can do a brewery tour too :)

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately there was a cock up so this week we are stopping at knayton, nr Thirsk. We will be spending the second week at spiers house. So bring on next week. I shall be hunting down these ales. Apparently, there's a fine wine and whisky auction happening on Friday at tennants, a stones throw from here. There's a bottle of midleton rare with my name written on it. :D
This week has been good too so far. The kids are learning (and getting good at) making cordage from nettles, thistles and brambles.
The kids have collected birch bark, and have all found their own walking sticks. Our 5 year old daughter Hollie, wanted a 'holly stick' because "my walking stick has the same name as me".
Can't put up piccies yet as no decent signal here.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Small world. Just popped into Ripon to buy boots for the kids from a well known outdoor store, helped out by member if this parish, hun7er.
Had a chat about the area. Sorted 4 pairs of boots. Nice guy. :thumbup:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
If you fancy going a bit further next year, we stayed at Tummel Bridge holiday park last year and the kids loved it.

The atmosphere is very working class, but as my family is very much working class we enjoyed it.

Best thing was it was in the middle of nowhere, we'd take off hiking in the morning with the kids and just get lost in the local woods.

Highly recommended although i'd stay away from the swimming pool as it stunk terrible.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Well. Back early from the holiday as our shed was broken into (nothing taken thankfully). But, wow, what a place. I had a tour of the brewery in Crompton, tasted a few beers, and wholeheartedly agree that the monkmans slaughter is excellent. The forest itself is huge, mainly Scots pine, so I have a bag full of fat wood in my day sack. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I left my fiskars hatchet at home so when I saw a fulfators classic hatchet in a Pickering shop window, I became its owner, much to swmbo's delight :eek:

The survival course was a bit basic, but only cost £8 so nothing lost.

The staff were friendly, and gave me permission to hang my hammock and tarp for a few days.

If anyone is looking for a family holiday with a hint of bushy stuff, this place is great. Fresh bread on a morning for the princely sum of £2.20 and £3 for a beer is steep though.

5680644f-f8fb-f5a4.jpg

5680644f-f922-5da5.jpg

5680644f-f930-4f84.jpg

5680644f-f940-7179.jpg

5680644f-f95b-13b6.jpg

5680644f-f96d-36b9.jpg

5680644f-f98e-2790.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE