2 man tent and sleeping bag for beginner wild camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Finglas

Sep 18, 2015
Glasgow
Hi folks, looking for some advice regarding a good 2 man tent.

I have "wild" camped here and there over the years but it has been fairly luxurious. For example, recently I camped on Skye in a friends tentipi, which was brilliant don't get me wrong, but I like the idea of going well of the beaten track and hiking for a few miles to get somewhere really remote.

With this in mind I am looking for some advice regarding which 2 man tent would be a good starting point and what kinda of sleeping bag would be a good introduction. I like the idea of camping in the Scottish highlands and so this should give you an idea of the weather I would require the tent to withstand!

I am thinking of camping spring, summer and autumn so I would likely encounter some rather chilly weather.

Looking forward to hearing some advice regarding what is required for this type of camping.

Thanks a lot.

Appreciate any help.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Whats your budget like? The more you pay upfront, the lighter and smaller things become, which is important if your walking a fair distance. I bought the Zephyros 2 because it had a good tradeoff between weight and price (around £99 at present). Sleeping bags are really individual, but for the conditions your looking at, I'd be spending £120 for a decent synthetic. Plus a decent mat. Alpkit sounds like a good start, but go to Cotswolds, get an EXplorer card, and you get the catalouge free. Then have a look through - you can see what you get for your money.

There is bound to be loads of advice on Outdoor magic - just search within the site. Tell us what your budget is, and what you already have. Your conditions are going to be tough, so good kit is really worth it. Also look at walkhighlands - reviews and also some heads up on bargains, which OM also has.

Finglas

Sep 18, 2015
Glasgow
Thanks Oldbones and Mick91.

I had a rough budget in my head of around £200, and ideally not more than £250 for the tent. However, if I could get a suitable one for half that I would be more than happy. I don't really have much equipment at all. Most of the camping I have done over the years has been in cheap tents with tarps. And most of the time the weather has been very favourable. Recently however, I was camping outside Pitlochry near Loch Rannoch and the heavens began to open, I thought we would be in for a very rough night but thankfully it cleared. Anyway, this experience has prompted me to search for a new god quality tent.

So yes, I think a budget of around £200 for the tent and £100 ish for the tent would be ideal, but if i could get good quality gear for less than that then happy days!

Thanks again.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Hi Mick91, that sleeping bag looks very extreme haha. Suitable to -26 C, that would be some conditions to camp in!

Aye it's a bit severe, I used one for a good while, very warm in winter! I used to leave it open a bit on warmer nights mind you, but 2 foot of snow I was glad of it, it'll really open the winter season up to you. There's a slightly lighter version of the same one I believe and they're bombproof

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
On the other hand, its pretty heavy. A Mountain Hardware bag that goes down to minus 6 (comfort) is 1.22kg, just over a kilo lighter. The new one (Flame) is £140, but the older versions should still be around, and there seems to be a selloff of those http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134943 - if you can get the Lamina 0 for a good price, go for it, because I hear good things about it. Used to be about £145 and weighs 1.64kg, but does go down to a comfort level of minus 12.

Alpkit have their sleeping mats back in, and they are worth looking at, and they have a good section on choosing a sleeping bag, etc.

The same goes for tents - the more robust it is, the heavier/more expensive it is. Alpkit have their two person mounatin tent on pre-oreder for £315 (a Terra Nova tent would be twice that price for the spec), but they are heavy. There are loads of threads about this on OM, etc, but something like the Vango Banshee could be had for less than £100, However, its about half a kilo heavier than the Zephyros (but cheaper). You can ligheten a tent a bit, but not much. In both cases, buy the best you can at the lightest weight - your going to have to carry this stuff.

£200ish for the tent is certainly doable, and the bag at £100 is possible, but look around for bargains. Second hand down bag is worth seeking out - warmth and less bulk. Cotswolds card holder can also get deals - I got 15% off last month on what I bought, because it was a new season.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I have to admit I don't usually even consider weight within reason as I'm happy to take what gear I want and just slow down carrying it. On sleeping bag I would say go surplus and don't go British army, go Dutch or German thier kit is far superior. Vango banshee is Definately worth a look, although I do think to a degree you're paying for a name with vango they're undeniably good quality. As for a roll mate, I once met a fella out camping who used a piece of carpet underlay. I got home, bought some, tried it and swiftly proceeded to throw my roll mat away. And a piece human sized is about £1

Wacker

Sep 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
I once met a fella out camping who used a piece of carpet underlay. I got home, bought some, tried it and swiftly proceeded to throw my roll mat away. And a piece human sized is about £1

I was worrying about my mat being too cold this winter and not being able to afford a decent one, not any more! Cheers for this little nugget of info :notworthy. You still using the underlay then Mick?

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I was worrying about my mat being too cold this winter and not being able to afford a decent one, not any more! Cheers for this little nugget of info :notworthy. You still using the underlay then Mick?
Best thing with it is you can easily double it over. I won't use anything else if I'm ground dwelling it really is brilliant. And when it gets tatty just chuck it and go down a carpet shop for more

Finglas

Sep 18, 2015
Glasgow
Oldbones, thanks again appreciate that help. I have been checking OM and there is some brilliant info on it.

Mick91, the carpet sounds interesting but isn't lugging a 6ft odd length of carpet about pretty tough going ? Surely it'd be a lot heavier than a self inflating mat ?

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Mick91, the carpet sounds interesting but isn't lugging a 6ft odd length of carpet about pretty tough going ? Surely it'd be a lot heavier than a self inflating mat ?

Just the foam underlay stuff. It doesn't weigh much more than an inflating mat and rolls down no bigger than a regular foam one. Like I say though I'm not into ultralight. Its a good option for cold weather though, I used industrial bubble wrap for a short time!

Nic Le Becheur

Forager
Sep 10, 2015
Ludlow
Hi Finglas

I'm as new to this forum as you, but would recommend the Polish Army surplus 'peleryna namiot' (poncho tent). Shop around online and you can find pairs sold for around £30. They are simple, robust and just about everything-proof. No guys, held up by its own tension between pole and walls and pegs. Two canvas ponchos button together to make a double-sealed bell tent, the aluminium centre pole sections hold up the apex by fitting the peaks of the poncho hoods on top, one over the other. Plenty of good reviews and links on this site if you search 'Polish lavvu'.

Good for backpacking as the whole thing weighs only 5kg and will roll up neatly in a groundsheet (not included). Two suggestions, though: 1) Foul-weather-test it at home first, and if you keep the two ponchos buttoned together you'll find it takes less than 10 minutes to unpack and put up. 2) You can improve internal space and wall tension by adding bungee ball loops to the 8x eyelet holes on the skirts, and replacing the pegs.

And a third thing: while a single Polish Army peleryna on its own makes an excellent foul weather poncho you don't want to be messing about trying to button it up into a tent when it's wet, and cold, and getting dark. Get a separate, lightweight rain poncho that will cover you and your pack and double as a groundsheet when you make camp. I like these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-BGS-KSK-Regen-Poncho-Sumpftarn-/120805172843

Hope that's useful.

ATB,

Nic.

Hi folks, looking for some advice regarding a good 2 man tent.

I have "wild" camped here and there over the years but it has been fairly luxurious. For example, recently I camped on Skye in a friends tentipi, which was brilliant don't get me wrong, but I like the idea of going well of the beaten track and hiking for a few miles to get somewhere really remote.

With this in mind I am looking for some advice regarding which 2 man tent would be a good starting point and what kinda of sleeping bag would be a good introduction. I like the idea of camping in the Scottish highlands and so this should give you an idea of the weather I would require the tent to withstand!

I am thinking of camping spring, summer and autumn so I would likely encounter some rather chilly weather.

Looking forward to hearing some advice regarding what is required for this type of camping.

Thanks a lot.

Appreciate any help.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Carinthia defence 4 sleeping bag, I've been toastie in mine down to -5 it's rated much lower though.

That's not a bad spec bag either, do you use it Mick ?

I used to mate but no longer, it has another home now as I tend to use a hammock. Served me well though

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Just the foam underlay stuff

A favourite amoungst hikers is using the radiator reflecting foil you get from the likes of Screwfix (£5.99 for 4m). Cut it to size, and then use it as barrier between the ground and your self inflating mat. Its basically there to stop heat being leached away to the ground from your mat (and you). Its the same stuff as they use for those heat reflecting/frost stopping windscreen covers, and its basically the same principle - reflecting heat back, plus a thin thermal layer. I'd certainly still use the mat as well - thats for both warmth and comfort, and that extra layer helps a bit, but its not a cure all.

If you've had a look at OM and some of the suggestions on this thread, you can immediately see a difference between bushcrafting and hiking. Weigh is far more important to hikers than it generally is to bushcrafters. Both want durability and effectiveness, but I suspect that bushcrafting tends to be slightly more static, and there is a greater desire for natural materials, etc.

No hiker is ever going to suggest using a lavvu, or any surplus stuff, or for that matter, any mil spec stuff, such as the Carinthia defence 4. Its about weight and bulk.

If your wild camping, your going off the beaten track, so you can't just walk 5 minutes from a car, footpath, etc. So the lighter your kit, the easier life can be. If you like the kit that works for you, thats great, and the kit should always work for the conditions. However, if I can save carrying a couple of kilos on my back for a week, then I'll do it. The Carinthia defence 4 is a highly regarded bit of kit. Its a minus 15 degree bag that weighs 1.85kg, and costs about £220. If your looking at the civvie market, you can get the brand new MH Lamina Z Torch from Cotswolds for £155, which has the same temp rating and weighs 1.79kg. And you can get the Rab 900 (-18c) for £240ish (Joe Brown has it for £165, although that might have long sold out). Its a down bag, which weighs 1.53kg, and of course packs down relatively small compared with a synthetic. There is a whole thread about sleeping bags for scotland on OM, so enjoy! http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear/sleeping-bag-for-winter-use-in-scotland/28148.html

You takes your choice on what works for you, and the same goes for the tent. Its has to be pretty strong, and also fit 2 people (I know what you mean about 1 person tents), yet be light enough not to cripple you carrying it. At your budget, you can go higher than Vango, with perhaps Vaude, and some other brands within reach, especially if you keep your eyes open for a bargain, end of line deal, etc.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Have a look at the "luxe" range of tents on backpackinglight.co.uk my sil mini peak did a grand job last winter in the cold and windy peak district

Finglas

Sep 18, 2015
Glasgow
Really brilliant help here folks, greatly appreciated.

I now understand more of the difference between bushcrafting and hiking and I can see the difference in what would be required.

One last thing i was wondering about is whether a down sleeping bag would be better then synthetic ? From what I think i know they are stuffed feathers and you can't get them wet at all. But is the benefit just they are warmer and pack smaller ?

Thanks again, really excellent help from you all. The polish army shelter sounds very interesting, ill check it out :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE