1st knife suggestions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Edsmate

Oct 31, 2021
Dorset
Hi, can't disagree with anything said before my 2 pence worth but just wanted to add the Marttiini lumberjack lynx to the mix.

In my humble opinion it's better than the mora companion as an outdoor knife rather than just a tool.

Not full tang but a very capable all rounder and with the beach handle easy to change the shape to your hands, sharpens easily and holds a good edge if used properly, good carver, feathers well, baton small pieces of wood for kindling, strikes a ferry rod and comes with a more traditional look and a leather/plastic sheath.

So light and comfortable!

Good luck with whatever you choose, there is no short cut to experience so expect to have a draw full of knives even after you have found the right one!lol!

Reactions: Billy-o

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Marttiini Lynx 121 might be a good idea for smaller women. Here the handle is already shaped for them.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Hennie Haynes have the MORA BASIC 546 LIMITED EDITION 2022 which is stainless on offer.
You cannot go wrong with a Mora.
I really like the Kansbol however that is a personal choice.

Reactions: gibson 175

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Mora shouldn’t just just your 1st knife but your last.
Not necessary to buy another. I have and regretted it sold or destroyed many except for chis canines, another local maker who I know and my mora
The mora and huntsman penknife are the ones I use the most

Reactions: Minotaur

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol
Mora companion carbon. The carbon is supposed to be easier to sharpen than the stainless ones and has better cutting performance. I have stainless ones and I must admit they are not the easiest the sharpen given the steel is not that advanced. So, you might enjoy sharpening better if you get a carbon one.

Add an Opinel number 8 stainless for all of your food-related work, so you could keep the carbon mora companion away from food.

Buy a separate firesteel. Light my fire Sweedish firesteels are supposed to be good. I have cheaper ones that work but If I had to do it again, I would not skimp on a fire steel. It makes so much difference in actual use and light my fire ones seem to throw the most sparks in comparison videos.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Mora black has a full tang I believe(unlike some of the other ones)& is a great knive with a hard plastic sheath, smashing knife for what you pay.
Also Condor do some decent basic ones like the bushcrafter & swamp romper..I have a few bespoke knives, yet I favour the swamp romper & comes with a well made leather sheath & sometimes a built in ferro rod holder.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Must admit, I have one of those bright orange stainless companions, its nice.
I really like the orange handle cos if I drop it its dead easy to find.
Not so blown away by the orange sheath and have considered buying another one with a darker sheath.
For a tenner (or so) knife thats really good though.
People tend to get one, use and abuse it then get something posh and expensive but then leave the posh expensive one in a drawer and still use the Mora Companion.

Oh and firesteel? A stainless knife strikes a spark just fine as long as its got a sharp 90 degree corner on the back of the blade but you can carry a Mora, a firesteel AND the glorified hacksaw blade while it all being far less weight than the usual versions of "Bushcraft knife and firesteel"

Full disclosure though, I have a nice Fallkniven F1 and several other sheath knives so kind of spoilt for choice, its an illness.

Realistically the Manly Wasp folder I bought off a chap up ^ the thread gets far more use than any of them.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
The scandi-ground Brisa Elver in O1 is still available. Their Trapper is awesome and available flat ground and scandi, in O1 and stainless.

If I were you (I am not, like, but if I were) I'd get the Brisa flat ground O1 Trapper kit. Comes with scales, liners and corbies plus a leather sheath ... you may prepare yourself to countenance getting a new sheath made for it later. The standard one is OK, but not that grippy ... though it will wetform. It's just a bit basic basic

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
I know you've already said you have decided but you need to bear in mind the bushcraft black is Not full tang which means either you need to carry another stronger cutting tool as well or tone down your expectations of what your knife is capable of,.. murphys law says if your knife is going to let you down it will be at the most inconvenient moment. If it was me knowing what I know now I would pay a bit more and buy the Mora Garberg which Is full tang and much more capable.B.t.w I've had opinels before and wouldnt have another, if they get wet the wooden handle swells and makes opening and closing very difficult, the SAK Huntsman is a better option IMHO.

Reactions: R_Fonseca

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE