1pt kelly kettle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Anyone got pictures of the kelly kettle accesorie kit (for the 2pt version) in use
Or has anyone made one for the smaller version??

As it is my intention to make one

Any thoughts/Ideas/Pics would be Much apreciated
I have used the search function but seem to be suffering thread blindness (I have been at work a long time!)

Jon Mawer

Forager
May 2, 2006
Taunton, Somerset
I know that the kit is only meant to fit the 2 pint version, but I am sure that I read somewhere that it jusst fits the 1 pint version. I wiil try and find where I saw this for you!

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Jon Mawer said:
I know that the kit is only meant to fit the 2 pint version, but I am sure that I read somewhere that it jusst fits the 1 pint version. I wiil try and find where I saw this for you!

thanks for that!

Would be good if you could find it.

It is my intention to make one if it does not fit, I am just not sure where it fits

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
I think the base of the one-pint is a bit small to support a fire big enough to cook on.
What I did was to turn it into a hobo stove. I found a tin can that fitted the base; cut the top and bottom and a slot about 2.5 inches wide and 1.5 inches deep at the top.

It works great for cooking on. You get a great fire going on very little fuel. I find a hobo stove is more practical than a fire for most occasions.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Never posted pics before so I don't know if this will work.

mini-PICT0029.jpg

mini-PICT0017.jpg

mini-PICT0013.jpg

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
As you can see from the first picture the tin can just fits over the kettle, for storage,so it takes up no extra space. The only tin can I could find that was the right size was "Farleys" baby milk.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
anthonyyy said:
As you can see from the first picture the tin can just fits over the kettle, for storage,so it takes up no extra space. The only tin can I could find that was the right size was "Farleys" baby milk.

Thanks mate!

I like that! will have a go

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
anthonyyy said:
Like I said the hardest part is finding the right sized tin. If you find any other suitable readily available tin let me know.

:35: Nice one. I had a go this afternoon using a 900g SMA tin. It is a perfect fit.

The height of the tin means you can get a good fire-loading inside and the open top gives a nice wide stable cooking platform.
A small British Army mess tin fits over the opening perfectly. It is also an ideal size for the Trangia non-stick frying pan.

The first burn in it was quite unpleasant. The paint burning off the tin smelt awful :yuck:

I put about a pint of water in the mess tin to test the heat. It warmed quickly , but would have worked quicker if I had bothered to cover the mess tin.

You can keep an eye on the fire through the exhaust opening and it is quick and easy to remove the mess tin to add some more wood.

This is a great idea and I will definately be using it to cook on - once I've burned the rest of the paint off the tin!

I think it would be great for pasta. You could bring the water to the boil in the Kelly Kettle then tranfer the water to the mess tin, add the pasta and use the stove modification to simmer.
Also great for a bacon roll, washed down by a nice cup of freshly brewed tea. :D

Many thanks for the tip Anthonyyy.

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
I had another go today. It seems like a fair bit of heat is escaping through the exhaust port or the walls of the tin.

I had to burn quite a lot of fuel to get the water hot, although a covered pot would be much more effective.

Overall I think it's a handy system. Some experiments with tin height and port size and position might make it more efficient.

MattW

Forager
Jun 2, 2005
Warrington, UK
You might find it better if you support the pot clear of the top of the can slightly (say about 20mm) - you could cut notches around the top edge of the pot, or sit it on a couple of pieces of steel.

With the pot sitting directly on the can, you tend to find that most of the hot gasses just fly straight out of your exhaust port.

Of course this is more work (and the sides of your pot will end up black!), but it might help.

Matt

Jon Mawer

Forager
May 2, 2006
Taunton, Somerset
Sorry this is a bit late, but I have been spending ages trying to find that quote, can't find it anywhere, and it is really annoying me! (It is of course possible that I have bad memory and didnt read the original article correctly, in which case I am pillock, but is is still irritating!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE