1920's shipwright's tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
So as turns out, my great grandfather was a shipwright! I found these tools (amongst some other, less interesting ones) in the garage in his old tool box.

I'm planning on removing the rust and oiling the wood and using them again eventually, just thought I would share and see if anyone knows a bit more about them than me!

Link to pictures here

Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
The red tool looks like a Swiss Army Knife. ;)

There's something stamped on one of the plane blades which may identify the maker of the blade. Your great grandad might have made the plane bodies himself.

The red tool looks like a Swiss Army Knife. ;)

There's something stamped on one of the plane blades which may identify the maker of the blade. Your great grandad might have made the plane bodies himself.

Yeah, but I can't read it yet because of rust which is annoying. Going to stick the blades in a electrolysis bath this afternoon, so shall have more pictures then!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Thanks for posting, I wouldn't have thought a Stillson wrench would be that old, but wikipedia tell me they have a history going back to 1870. Nice family heirlooms, I have my fathers manual hand drills and look forward to using them again when the oil runs out. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE