15mm copper pipe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
hi all i've seen guys using a thin piece of hollow metal tube to blow at a base of a fire.
my question is can i use a 15mm piece of pumping pipe to do the same thing or is it big ?
i've tried it on my fire at home and it seems to work ok..
let me know thanks

sandbag47

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
I would think that anything (that doesn't burn or melt) that allows air to be directed at the base of the fire can be used. A moistened reed stem would work, for a time :)

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
it will work fine SB!

- my advice is to add some tape as a 'handle' the end you are going to hold and blow into as copper is a good conductor! ;)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
15 mm pipe may be a bit wide but if you created a reduction in the pipe you'd get a good jet of air. Chris Claycombe showed me a neat trick where you blow through the lanyard hole on your knife onto the fire. It may only be a small length of tubing, but the lanyard tube is enough to turn your breath into a powerful enough jet to noticeably make a difference to your fire from quite a distance!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I went on a meet and a guy bought along some copper sulphate to see if we could melt it.

we used a bit of 15 mm copper pipe about a foot long and it worked fine, it took a lot of time and a swapping breathing rota but at the end we couldn't find the copper sulphate.

we used a bit of garden hose to extend the pipe which somehow didn't burn!

we did however find that the end of the copper pipe had melted!
(It was hard work though!)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think my blow pokers are 6 or 7mm internal diam. They work very well, but I suspect that so long as you don't sook :eek: your's will work, if with a lot of puff.

cheers,
Toddy

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
You can buy 50cm branches with the pith removed and one smaller branch left, for fire blowers, in the Alps. It's normally found in toruist tat shops/kiosks.

I gave my parents one, once the kindling lights it really does work and gets coals going sharpish.

Nick

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use a length of Elder with the pith removed - a long one at home and a short one when out and about.....cheaper than metal and usable as firewood if I run out.....

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
I bought a telescopic pen sized thing with a magnet on the end designed for picking up tools etc. that have fallen into awkward places.

I cut off the magnet and the pocket clip unscrews off the top... hey presto, telescopic blow poker for a pound, and the advantage is there is a plastic end to stop the heat transfering to your lips.

Not sure how much heat it will stand or for how long, but I will have to get a fire going and find out.

Phill :bye:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE