100 Ways To Make Some String

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

haptalaon

Tenderfoot
Nov 16, 2023
South Wales
I've been thinking of making a sampler - not sure what the finished object will look like - demonstrating as many different cord-making techniques as I can find. I thought it'd make a fun game thread!

Here are the rules:
  • name & describe a technique to make some string
  • rope, cord, or anything similar also acceptable.
  • you must have used the technique yourself (no spamming from a big list of techniques)
  • tell us something about it (does it stretch? is it sturdy? easy? fun?)
  • Include photo, or links to photos, or links to tutorial
I'll go first!

#1 - Idiot Cord

Known in genteel knitting circles as 'I-Cord', you [knit four stitches](https://nimble-needles.com/stitches/how-to-knit-an-i-cord-for-beginners/) on a double pointed needle - slide it down to the end - pull the thread across the back and knit four more stitches - and by repeating this process, you will quickly make a length of cord.

> The i-Cord technique has been documented in a printed pattern as early as 1856. A book entitled The Finchley Manuals of Industry No IV. Plain Needle-Work calls this technique a "stay-lace" and offers a quick explanation of how to create this type of cording. In 1974, Elizabeth Zimmerman “rediscovered” this quick and easy way to create a lovely knit cord, which she dubbed the i-Cord (because, she believed it to be so simple an "idiot" could do it).

It is tubular & stretchy. Mine is made from cheap acrylic DK wool I had lying around, so it comes out quite chunky, but with smaller needles and a firmer, more textured textile (maybe bamboo?) I can see this would be very nice.

In knitting, it can be sewn on as a 3D decorative hem, used to make tassels on the end of scarves, or used in toys to make legs and antennae - or clothing ties.

Looking in my bag of cord, I find that several of them seem to be I-Cord, but very slender, and made from something smooth and plasticky.

Who's next? Share a technique!

GreyCat

Nov 1, 2023
South Wales, UK
Get some combed wool. Spin a thread (turn the spindle clockwise), wind result onto a bobbin. Repeat. Then ply the two together by spinning on the spindle anticlockwise...... and you have a cord.

Can also use Devere filament silk threads and spin one way, then ply back a pair or more, I have done that with my e-spinner to make some "art" embroidery threads for a piece.

(I have a hand drop-spindle- Turkish Spindle type- plus a small 3d printed e-spinner. My wool cord isn't very even yet because I don't practice enough).

GC

Reactions: Pattree

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Has anyone used a “Great Wheel” for cord or yarn. The wheel is turned by hand rather than a treadle and the driving band just turns a tapered spindle. Holding the top/fibre in line with the spindle twists it; holding it to the side of the spindle winds it.
The traditional flywheel is huge.

IMG_6811.jpeg

No I’ve never done it but I’ve been impressed by its simplicity. Further, there is a long way to go to reach 100 ways and this one is worth a mention that I don’t think it would otherwise get.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have, and it's one of those gentle sort of almost dancing as you move in and away. It's called the Walking wheel.
It really needs carefully prepared rovings though.

I have a Scottish Spinning Schools wheel that has sound provenance to the late 1740's
I have it's clock reel too (you didn't get paid until the yardage was measured/clocked) and it's a beautiful wheel to use, even all these years later, it wants to spin. The bearing is horn, and the spindle is apple wood, but the rest is oak.

As to the OP, well how about finger walking braids :D

In the past clothing was laced, tied, belted, etc., no elastic, velcro, zips, and a lot of cordages were made. A lot of them very decorative.
To the medieval mind a loop was a bow, so instructions will say things like Take Seven bows.... I'll find a youtube link to show the way they're worked.

We still have good examples of these cords because they were used as the seal strings that affixed the noblemen's seals to important documents.
1724271319774.png

Last edited:
Reactions: JFW

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE