1 man tents.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
What are my options?

I like the snugpak ionosphere so something that sort of style. I'm would also like to be able to make a cuppa or bit of hot food on a stove under a bit of shelter or porch.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Just recently I looked into the 1 man market and decided they were generally a bit too small. The Vango 200 Banshee was my choice. A very tight squeeze for 2, but ideal for 1 with a bit of extra room for your pack. Small porch for boots. 2 doors, so if it's windy and wet on one side, you can use the other for a brew up.

Unfortunately the the one they sent was describes "as new", but was ex display and badly damaged and I haven't got round to replacing it. Gone tarp and Hunka bivi instead.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Wouldn't call that much of a tent actually. It's better than the stratosphere, but you just don't have enough space to do anything in it, including sitting up. If you're stuck inside during bad weather ..., rather you than me ;).

For an actual 1 person tent, i think you need to look more at tarptent, trekkertent, the expensive lightweight stuff, before you get something usefull in which you can do anything more than lie down.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
zephros 1 by wild country, cheap version of the laser by terra nova (same company) and a few gram's heavier and just as good. Used mine now for two season and a very good tent with room.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
zephros 1 by wild country, cheap version of the laser by terra nova (same company) and a few gram's heavier and just as good. Used mine now for two season and a very good tent with room.

I went for the 2, simply because it was a bit larger, but not much more in weight. But the 1 is still higher than the Stratosphere and only about 100g heavier. You should be able to pick one up for less than £100, and Blacks have the 2 for £119.

I've hated one man tents since I had to spend about 10 days living in one on an excavation (and it was a really rubbish one man tent as well). 'One person' tends to mean someone laying down, and a very small bag, and as long as you barely move, you'll just about fit. The review I saw for the Snugpak wasn't exactly keen - http://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/Gear-Reviews/Search-Results/Tents/2012/

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Just recently I looked into the 1 man market and decided they were generally a bit too small. The Vango 200 Banshee was my choice. A very tight squeeze for 2, but ideal for 1 with a bit of extra room for your pack. Small porch for boots. 2 doors, so if it's windy and wet on one side, you can use the other for a brew up.

That was something that was in the back of my mind aswell. A two man tent for me and my bag sounds perfect!

Plus one man tents are so expensive compared to larger ones! I saw one for £800!!!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
That was something that was in the back of my mind aswell. A two man tent for me and my bag sounds perfect!

Plus one man tents are so expensive compared to larger ones! I saw one for £800!!!

I did my review research on the Vango, read and watched loads. It really came out ok at the price. I was pretty annoyed at having to return mine and will probably still search one out at some stage.

This young lady did a very honest review and is pleasing on the eye. :rolleyes:

That's the the first mention of damp in the floor I've seen. An easy fix, but something to be aware of. Also, the older versions don't have the two door system, so check which year version you're looking at.

[video=youtube_share;bNvZoMaAlLY]http://youtu.be/bNvZoMaAlLY[/video]

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I agree with almost all the above. Having used 2 man tents for years, I bought a 1 man in the interest of lightness but found it too small for self+ kit + cooking when the weather was bad- i.e. when I needed it most. I also discovered that the small tent meant more condensation.

The key factor was that the weight saving of modern 1 man over modern 2 man is so small it isn't worth bothering about. Since reading the many posts on this subject (try the tag cloud), I have found that tarp+bivvy-bag is the way to go: light, flexible, roomier and cheaper.

Nice 55's Vango link picture got me going. My OH used to look just like that in our tent when she was that age. She's mostly in a camper van now but still as gorgeous 55 years later although the silver threads have overtaken the gold!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE