1 Man Coleman Tents?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harb505

Forager
Nov 22, 2011
Lincolnshire
Thinking I might get a small one man tent/ bivi tent. I saw the Coleman's Libra x1 and Rigel online has anyone got any experience with these tents or suggestions for a good tent/ bivi tent of this type? I looking a max for weight of about 2kg but preferebly less, something that doesn't suffer really bad condensation issues and can stand up to strong winds and wind driven rain.
Thanks for time.
Regards Harb.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
What's your budget mate? The Rab Ridge Raider bivi looks nice, and I have a Terra Nova Saturn, which does the job nicely. The Jack Wolfskin bivi also looks the part, but the reviews I've seen have been part good and part bad regarding breathability.

Harb505

Forager
Nov 22, 2011
Lincolnshire
Max budget will be around the £200 mark. I just found the Vango Helium 100 which seems to suit the bill. I wont need one for a couple of months yet and one that is free standing might me useful.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
A couple of years ago I bought a Coleman 1-man for the wife and to be honest I'm not very impressed with it. The design and construction aren't what I'd have expected for the price. You can see the stitching being stretched horribly when you put the poles in, and the fabric always seems to wrinkle and flap no matter what you do with the pegs and guys.

You can easily get a two man tent well under two kilos. Even when camping solo (which is what i do most) I'd go for that every time over a one man.

I have quite a few tents and bivvies, and some of them weren't cheap. A lot of the time when I travel I'll just use a bivi because I don't want to spend time setting up and taking down a tent, but if I don't have time constraints I do like to set up a tent. I have a couple of very cheap single skin festival-style two man tents, and if I'm using a tent they probably see more action than anything else. Quite often I'll put a tarp up too, that's what I call real luxury.

Condensation is always an issue but the two festival types that I have do have good ventilation. They have a big mesh vent at the top with a detachable cover to stop it raining in. The door flaps only zip up the middle, not at the bottom, so if it's raining and I haven't set up a tarp I can peg the bottom out for a good vent. If I've set up a tarp I'll just tie them out of the way. They have fully-zipped insect screens which you don't always get on bivvies.

I carry a face flannel to mop up condensation from the inside of the tent, tarp or fly. I use a bivvy over my sleeping bag even when I'm in a tent to keep condensation off the sleeping bag.

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Have a look at the MSR hubba ultralight ,I have one for 3 years now and its stood up to the worst scotland could throw at it from sub zero temps to gale-force winds and its never let me down ,100+trips and a few west highland ways
No condensation worries and good ventilation , 1.5kg ,£180 ish

Try this place they have a load to look at http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...qd2prEcltAsCpAbgA&sig2=gC4TNvHgj90OLT9oZAZKOA

Just a happy customer bla bla bla

Jason

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I have been looking into this as well and am still undecided whether to go for a tarp used with walking poles that would come in at around a kilo or getting a light weight tent? I know you can get very light tents if you are willing to pay but so far I have only looked at a Vango Banshee 200 at my local camp shop that comes in just below 2 kg at a reasonable £100 or so. Replace the pegs for titanium and you can shave a few grams if that's your thing?

Steve.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
I got a Coleman viper 1 in a swap last year and It's feature packed.used it on a very wet and windy night and very good.I pitched a tarp low down on the side to give extra living space and worked very well.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs

Harb505

Forager
Nov 22, 2011
Lincolnshire
I think tarps and tent both have their pros and cons. For short trips I have no problems with my tarp it weighs in at about a 1kg - 1.6kg depending on rope strength and pegs used its really easy to set up, incredibally versatile, only cost £30 and £5 for rope and pegs and can stand up to strong winds but if the weather ever did turn really nastly or I went on longer trips like I'm planning to I think i would prefer a tent.

Harb505

Forager
Nov 22, 2011
Lincolnshire
Hi mate, take a look at these from Cotswold outdoors -

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.detail/code/74110125 - half price, and weighs in at 1.3kg!!

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/inde...on/products.detail/code/71110046/id_colour/98 - again half price and weighs in at 1.5kg!!

Both tents are Robens which is a great make!!
Have a look around there website, they have some right bargains on there!!
Cheers
Steve

I like the looks of the mythos solo have you any idea if it suffers badly from condensation?
The vango helium is probably a bit short for me sadly :(
At the min I'm thinking:
MSR Hubba - Thinking this has everthing I'm after except alot of pople say the floor lets moisture through...
Exped Vela 1 - Sadly not much of a porch for cooking under in wet weather, but I like the low profile and small pack size
Vaude Hogan Ultralight - Anyone got any info?

Last edited:

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
if the weather ever did turn really nastly or I went on longer trips like I'm planning to I think i would prefer a tent.

Wild Country Zephyros 1. Around £100 and around 1.5kg. Loads of room inside & quite a following on the internet. Same dimensions as Terra Nova Laser Comp but made in China instead of Derbyshire. Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice......

Last edited:

Harb505

Forager
Nov 22, 2011
Lincolnshire
Well thanks for all of the advice folks. I have several models I want to have a look at before I buy one. Thinking the 2012 Vango Helium 200 might be a winning option though, it is cheaper than most and has a slightly raised end in comparisson to the 2011 model meaning it might be more suited to someone of my height. The only real restiction is what ever I get will have to fit in my backpack as external fastening points are not very good
Again thanks for all the help :D

Harb505

Forager
Nov 22, 2011
Lincolnshire
Does anyone think a cut to shape IPK sheet will make a good footprint for a tent rather than spending £50 on the official one? or will it be too thin and flimsy?
And finally (hopefully) can anyone recomend some light weight tent pegs that can be pitched anywhere (excluding sand and snow) and can stand a good bit of wind/ bad weather?
Thanks again

Last edited:

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Does anyone think a cut to shape IPK sheet will make a good footprint for a tent rather than spending £50 on the official one? or will it be too thin and flimsy?

'm sure it would be fine. Or you could use a builder's tarp, or something from army surplus (I got a few about 3m x 2m for 3.50 each) or all kinds of things.

And finally (hopefully) can anyone recomend some light weight tent pegs that can be pitched anywhere (excluding sand and snow) and can stand a good bit of wind/ bad weather?

I only use cheap pegs because I quite often lose them. If the weather is really bad you can double up the pegs using the first peg as normal but put the second one about a foot further away from the tent than the first, with a short piece of cord from the second peg to the top of the first peg. The idea is for the second peg to stop the top of the first peg pulling towards the tent when it takes the strain. I'm sure there'll be a sketch of it somewhere.

If you have a knife and some spare time you can make perfectly good pegs from sticks. Very cheap, and it doesn't get any lighter than not having to carry it at all. :)

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
Thanks again

For a lightweight groundsheet you could use polycro, basically double-glazing film available form B&Q etc or here on ebay
For something a bit thicker, tyvek sheet could be used. Again, have a look ebay.

Lightweight pegs are likely to be skinny so aren't gonna be great in soft ground, including sand or snow. Maybe get a mixture of lengths and weights, e.g. ti pins and y-beams from the shiny gear emporium that is Alpkit. Clamcleats also do some y-pegs

pi_16536.jpeg
pi_16626.jpeg

I've read a thread somewhere (either here, or on outdoorsmagic) that titanium v pegs are no better than aluminium ones and not particularly strong
pi_16259.jpeg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE