1 man, 1 vision, 1 spade!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
It's 10:00 and I'm bored..... I'm feeling bushcraft but there's all this snow everywhere...the answer a "quinze". I'd read in one of Rays books that they were a type of shelter you made when there wasn't good enough ice to make an igloo with.....sounds like a challenge for wilderbeast :D . So I started by making a circle in the snow with diameter 6ft. Then just started chucking snow into the circle until it was about a 4ft high.......make no mistakes about it this takes a LONG time, on my own it took about 3 hours!! By the time this is finished the mound has re-frozen and is fairly solid so you start burrowing in. This can get quite clostraphobic as you have to shovel snow from the cealing down with your hands while your crouched inside and it often goes all over your face and down your back!! But eventually I had sculpted out the inside and it was big enough for about 2-3 people to sit down in and 1 person to sleep in.........Of course I then settled down for a brew after i'd finished.....that goes wthout saying, enjoy the pics and comment!
cheers
Wilderbeast

DSCF0340.jpg

DSCF0327.jpg

DSCF0330.jpg

DSCF0336.jpg

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Well done! at least you know you can do it, if it came to necessity. This is a funny little island, I went to the gym this morning and my PT kit is hanging outside in the sunshine to dry!! How come your playing Eskimo still? I've seen snow for about 12 hours max..all melted.. gone!!.:D :D

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Nice one, well done. I know its hard work cause I helped make a big one in the arctic and had a great time. We slept in it for 2 nights like babies. Loads warmer/ and a constant temp, compared to a lavu when the fire dies down/goes out.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
A quinzee has a ledge inside for sleeping on, this keeps you in the top half (warm air rises) then the cold air sinks to the floor.

wistuart

Jul 15, 2008
Scotland
Very nice work. I would caution against cooking in such a small snow shell though unless you have incorporated sufficient ventilation to mitigate the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Also, rolling a large snowball might be a good way of jump-starting the structure.

wasteoid

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
uxbridge
Having just helped build one in the arctic also, I commend you on your efforts. It has to be one of the most satisfying but back breaking of winter survival shelters.

Well done you!!

Chris

Feb 4, 2009
Scotland
Good pics mate.

This might actually be from that same Ray Mears' book...

A tip I was told once for building a quince is, if available gather lots of thin twigs. And brake them all into 4 to 6 inch (10 -15cm) lengths.

Once the mound is big enough. Stab the twigs all over the surface of the mound and push them all the way in. These twigs now form a depth gauge, allowing for an even thickness across the roof.

I have never made quinze. So I don't know if this is worth the effort... and would only be possible if there are trees.

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Very nice work. I would caution against cooking in such a small snow shell though unless you have incorporated sufficient ventilation to mitigate the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Also, rolling a large snowball might be a good way of jump-starting the structure.

as you can see in the pic of me with my mug on the stove it got quite "fumey" to say the least but this was sorted by punching thrugh it on both sides at an angle.........re-decorating with snow is easy :D

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
Well done!

Very hard work and discourageing at times but let us not forget that our ancestors who knew this kind of technique inside out and bushcrafters who do today would find it less so because they would have done it before and often not alone.

Great state of mind Wilderbeast!

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Cap'n Badger said:
Ye lucky bugger......our snow seemed t' just melt as it hit the ground....That's an awesome bit o' work there fella....
Well you can have mine! Really, I don't want it anymore... I built one of these a long time ago but I just called it a snow fort because I was a kid and it was more for playing in then surviving but it was pretty much the same. Not built as strongly though that's for sure cause it collapsed on me, but I guess if it had collapsed and was stronger, it could have been a bit tougher to get out of.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE