1 inch square cube of camel bone or similar

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I'm looking for a small block/offcut of "white" or or off white natural material such as camel bone - about an inch cube - willing to trade some buffalo or rams horn or open to suggestions.

It will be used to make a dice as a pair with a buffalo horn dice (one black one white) so structural integrity is of importance.

Cheers

Mike

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
Would an inch cube block of holly make a decent alternative? It's a very pale wood AFAICR - some UV blocking clearcoat would hopefully keep it that way.

I'm thinking getting a block of bone that size might be a bit difficult, unless you laminate one up.

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
There was a nice big branch that had been cut & had fallen with the end on another stump - so nicely seasoned and not sat on the ground to rot. However the trees are in the upper reaches of the Nith Valley Rain Forest & it's fairly damp round there. The wood seems to have been discoloured. I've taken a couple of pics (to follow) and you can decide if you want it or not. Although I was thinking that if holly's a naturally light coloured wood, you could possibly bleach it back to near-white?

Cut from:
SAM_0396.jpg

Log:
SAM_0401.jpg

End1:
SAM_0402.jpg

End2:
SAM_0403.jpg

See what I mean about rain forest?
SAM_0400.jpg

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
There was a nice big branch that had been cut & had fallen with the end on another stump - so nicely seasoned and not sat on the ground to rot. However the trees are in the upper reaches of the Nith Valley Rain Forest & it's fairly damp round there. The wood seems to have been discoloured. I've taken a couple of pics (to follow) and you can decide if you want it or not. Although I was thinking that if holly's a naturally light coloured wood, you could possibly bleach it back to near-white?

I think you're right about the colour - I'll hold off for now (given Kepis may have some boxwood) - but can I put you down as backup please?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Was going up the coppice today, but it's too wet up there at the momnent, we will do more harm than good to the ground, so a day off it is, so i took a photo of some of the box i have, i cant send the whole lump as it's huge and i have plans for it, but i can take a slice off one about 1.5" thick if you like, the top log is in the round the bottom one is a half round

DSCN2303.jpg

Even the half is over an inch thick - let me know.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Best Pm it through to me, im just off down the shed so i'll take a slice off and have a look see for you, i'll post up a pic later for you so you can say "yay of nay" as to it's condition

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Here you go, i took the end off the big piece

DSCN2305a.jpg

It has a small split at about 11 o'clock which runs the entire length of the log, but if you look at the position of the growing point it's off to one side and if you draw a line between the six o'clock and 9 o'clock positions it might just be big enough for what you want to do

DSCN2305ab.jpg

Let me know if you want it and i'll pop it in the post tomorrow for you

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE