1 day knife-making course

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
Do forgive me if I've posted the wrong thing in the wrong place but I'm a bit of a newbie and this is my first 'new thread' posting.

Just wanted to let you know about a bushcraft knife-making course. The first one is today and I was due to go on on it but unfortunately was up all night so not in a fit state to be working with sharp things.

They would like to run more such courses in the future but getting interested students isn't always easy so, to make up for not being there today, I thought I'd see if any of you would be interested.

I'll give the link to the course and an email for Andy who runs Potters Barn, the venue, for you to contact him to express your interest (if you are interested). He'll then be able to email you when the next course is planned for. Obviously if lots of folk express interest then they'll arrange an earlier course.

They also do longbow and arrow making courses. I attended those and they were great (will be bringing my bow to the Delamere meet next weeken). The classes are small and friendly. The price is high but includes a fantastic pub lunch and good tuition. It's a great venue, a small pottery, with a warm and relaxed atmosphere in East Cheshire - very close to the M6. Good B&Bs in the area I believe if you had to come from far or you could find out from Goose where you can sling your hammock in Delamere which is about half an hour away.

The course details are - http://www.thepottersbarn.f2s.com/Blacksmith.htm

and Andy's email is - a.pollard@thepottersbarn.co.uk

Please mention that you heard about it from Lightfoot. No I'm not on commission. Just want to know how many are actually interested. Expect to be at the next one myself (as long as I'm not up all night again!).

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I couldn't see a price for that course? I always look at the quality of the teachers' work and that produced by their students when I book onto a course. that way I have an idea of what to expect, value for money wise. (for example I attended a littel flint knapping course today. that was rather good and considering the quality of the work it was extremely cheap!)

M

mikehill

I couldn't see a price for that course? I always look at the quality of the teachers' work and that produced by their students when I book onto a course. that way I have an idea of what to expect, value for money wise. (for example I attended a littel flint knapping course today. that was rather good and considering the quality of the work it was extremely cheap!)
I kind of know where you're coming from Dave ... personally I like charges for courses to be displayed on the website .. otherwise I don't even bother enquiring :confused: Having said that ... if anyone wants to book on my knifemaking course then it's 20p ph on a 1 to 1 basis :lmao:

Ps. just in case ... I'm only kidding, it's really £50 ph :D

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
I know. It's hard having to send an email to ask about a price! I do apologise I should have done that for you and saved you the exertion. To make up I have telephoned on your behalf.

The knife making is £145 for the whole day, 9.30 till 6, and includes tea and coffee throughout the day and a slap-up, top notch pub lunch complete with drink of your choice. So works out at a little less than £20 per hour.

Andy said he doesn't put prices on as they run so many courses and with prices changing it means lots of time spent changing things. No hidden agenda.

There were 3 students on the last course so not quite 1 to 1 but pretty good ratio all the same.

The teacher is a blacksmith by trade and his friend who comes in to teach how to make the handles, and leather sheaf, is a carpenter by trade - no guarantee of the quality of their work but that knowledge plus the images available at the link address given should be enough to give a reasonable indication of the quality.

Failing that, contact the venue, ask for the contact details for the tutor, get in touch and find out!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE