Potassium Permanganate?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Does anyone carry this in their FAK ? I’ve just found a tin of crystals in my shed.ANCIENT tin but the contents aren’t going to deteriorate apparently.
I did a bit of reading & this stuff used to be used as an antiseptic in solution. Anyone else heard of that too? I have quite a lot so if anyone wants to try some drop me a dm & send me a sae for some. No charge as long as it doesn’t cost me to post it.
Cheers, Simon.2CE180DB-E1B9-4FBE-BB8C-62EBEA2AC453.jpeg35167A25-4146-4EFC-995E-261A0BC8073A.jpeg0517AC8F-4279-426C-8C39-1C3F9EEA9295.jpeg

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
It can be used to clean wounds and light fires. It used to be included in survival kits for the wound cleaning job, already in a dry state it wasn't going to dry out. I can't remember the ratio of the mix but that was one application. The fire lighting thing you need to crush it finely and add glycerin. I've tried it a few times with no joy but there's enough people out there that have videos on YouTube.

Reactions: Silverclaws2

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Mixing potassium permanganate with something else in order to cause a spontaneous combustion is potentially leaving yourself open to a dawn visit from the plod under certain acts in UK law. Just saying........

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Mixing potassium permanganate with something else in order to cause a spontaneous combustion is potentially leaving yourself open to a dawn visit from the plod under certain acts in UK law. Just saying........

Would you be under those criteria for that??

Its Binary and Flammable I agree.

Unless you are a Police officer in which case I'll wind my neck in like a good little oike.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
If I remember right, it is very good for curing athletes foot, just mix some in a bowl of water and allow your feet to sit in it for some time, and the athletes foot will be gone, makes your feet a funny colour though.Also good for any sores on the body.
So if the plod comes along just tell them you have athletes foot.....lol

Reactions: plastic-ninja

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
That potassium permanganate looks rather aged, and potentially a bit past its best.

Re. Supply, it's considered a drugs precursor, so is subject to certain controls and legislation with regards to supply and transport (in this case postage).

Be sure you are au fait with those rules/restrictions before you go to the post orifice.

Sent from my Armor X7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: plastic-ninja

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
KMnO4 doesn't deteriorate to any appreciable degree. I worked with the stuff in a bio lab, decades ago. This is one of that worst, the nastiest and the fastest killers I ever used. A 1% solution for 10 minutes kills everything and never stops. It totally rots the genetic code in living cells.
When you see the damage at 30,000X in an electron microscope, you will stay well away.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Would you be under those criteria for that??

Its Binary and Flammable I agree.

Unless you are a Police officer in which case I'll wind my neck in like a good little oike.
I am not plod.

Reactions: TeeDee

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
KMnO4 doesn't deteriorate to any appreciable degree. I worked with the stuff in a bio lab, decades ago. This is one of that worst, the nastiest and the fastest killers I ever used. A 1% solution for 10 minutes kills everything and never stops. It totally rots the genetic code in living cells.
When you see the damage at 30,000X in an electron microscope, you will stay well away.
Do you mean to support the idea that the OP's old crystals should be experimented with for use as topical solutions or water purification?

That tin and its contents should be disposed of appropriately. The safety, purity and indeed actual contents is questionable at best.

Speaking as a Chemistry Technician.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
No, I most certainly do not support the use of KMnO4 for any purpose.
There is far too large a body of factual evidence in this day and time for to abandon its use.
Here, all unwanted "pharmaceuticals" can be submitted to qualified practicing pharmacists for disposal.

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
No, I most certainly do not support the use of KMnO4 for any purpose.
There is far too large a body of factual evidence in this day and time for to abandon its use.
Here, all unwanted "pharmaceuticals" can be submitted to qualified practicing pharmacists for disposal.
I think our UK pharmacist may do the same, or even the manufacturer, whom may still be in business, in one form or other.

We are subject to Home Office compliance when we dispose of it.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I think our UK pharmacist may do the same, or even the manufacturer, whom may still be in business, in one form or other.

We are subject to Home Office compliance when we dispose of it.

Really? I can buy 1kg, posted, for £25 from a UK in stock supplier. If it's so easy to get hold of why do you need to be subject to Home Office disposal regulations? I'm confused.

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Yup, really.

It's a Cat 2 Drugs Precursor -
it's sale will be recorded and reported.

In our work environment, there's a lot of red tape, not necessarily a bad thing for certain chemicals, compounds etc.

Ignorantia juris non excusat

Last edited:

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Like many chemicals it can be dangerous, it should never be drank or inhaled, saying that it has many good uses and useful properties if used correctly.
It is a widely used chemical because of its anti bacterial properties.used quite widely in the treatment of water as it removes iron and magnesium from the water by turning them into solids so they can be filtered out.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
It can be used to clean wounds and light fires. It used to be included in survival kits for the wound cleaning job, already in a dry state it wasn't going to dry out. I can't remember the ratio of the mix but that was one application. The fire lighting thing you need to crush it finely and add glycerin. I've tried it a few times with no joy but there's enough people out there that have videos on YouTube.
That may be why I was told elsewhere not to mix it with glycol.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
It's the permanganate ion which lowers the energy of activation barrier to get the fuel source to start burning (aka oxidation). Too unreliable and too uneven to be of any value in the pyrotechnics industry. Of course, it's an unstable amusement under the guise of "product development."

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE