Work in progress moccassins

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I have decided to manufacture myself a pair of moccassins.
No real reason per se except I think it will be interesting and its something a little different to try out.
It will definitely be the most advanced leather work I've undertaken so I thought a work in progress thread would add to the motivation to keep myself going with it and also share with you lovely folk the trials and tribulations I experience.

moccasins have a wide range of styles.
Reading through A Pilgrims journey vol one by Mark Baker he speaks of centre seamed moccasins. But to my eyes they look too much like pixie boots so they're out.
Further browsing of both my own book collection and the internet I saw an inspirational blog post by Mr Joe O'Leary for a hybrid woodland moccasin boot type thing I also saw two patterns in a couple of books (I will list books, chapters page numbers etc shortly) for woodland moccasins.
I like the look of them much more and wouldn't feel as daft wearing them.
So thats the style decided upon.

Books I will be reffering to
Wildwood Wisdom by Ellsworth Jaeger.
ISBN-10:0-936070-12-9
ISBN-13: 978-0-936070-12-4
Chapter two titled Outdoor Clothing
Pages 39 to 41 plate 18 on page 40 illustrates pattern and stitching he recommends.

Woodcraft and Camping by Bernard S Mason (no longer in print but worth the effort to track down)
ISBN 0-486-22951-8
Chapter 19 titled Buck skin.
Pages 435 to 439 detail the process fig 225 on page 436 has much more detailed pattern.
Page 438 fig 226 shows another style illustrated.

Both the above books have detailed and slightly baffling to the uninitiated (eg me) explanation of how to sew the moccasins.

So I've found what I want. I've got two explanations of how to do it.
The next stage is to mocc (boom boom thank you I'm here all week....) up a template from some old news paper and then test the theory and stitching techniques on a piece of skinned sofa leather before I risk trying it on the much much nicer leather that Leon1 sent.

Photos of the template and mocc up to follow when I have made them.

Hopefully folk will find this interesting if not well at least I've documented it for my own reflection.

Sam

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's interesting :D.....see instead of newspaper, find yourself some old heavyweight fabric. Furnishing fabric meant for couches, etc., is brilliant for shoe templates. It lets you sew it together and put it on and walk in it. The stitching might not last all that long but it's long enough to adjust fitting, etc.,

I'm clearing out more boxes in my workroom, and I can find the offcuts if some would be of use ?

atb,
Mary

Feb 10, 2008
Way out West
Even among the woodland peoples there is a huge diversity in moccasin designs. the kinda generic woodland pattern centre seam is the most commonly documented (single piece moccasin with a simple whiip stitched seam across the centre of the toes) But also there is several variations which include a puckered toe. I have found these to be the most comfortable out of the centre seam style as puckering the toes tend to create a more tailored fit without the seam running beneath your toes. Also i find them more aesthetically interesting.

The centre seam I refer to is in an 18th century reenactment book :)
Both the patterns i make reference to have a slight puckering on the toe.
If I can find a link or get my blasted dongle to top up (dunno how to upload pics from my phone which I'm using to access forum at the moment) I wi add pics of the patterns I'm half working from
I look forward to the tutorial

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I am realy waiting to see these.... Got to get my finger out and start mine, but got an MOT comming this month on the LAndy so fingers will be busy with that.......

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice one Sam. I've always fancied making a pair of Plains pattern during the winter. Perhaps this will be the year I pull my thumb out. Looking forward to seeing your work

I'm not sure how theyd fare in winter conditions here in the UK too much wet n cold rather than the dry winter weather of your native land Chad.
Live and learn I'm sure I'll find out one way or another.

Something I am thinking about for a winter pair is havin a felt liner like modern winter boots. Just to boost the insulation as it were.

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
Looking forward to seeing these Sam, they have been on my list for a while! Still got some time before winter comes.. Well.. actually i best get cracking!

some pics
first trace your foot and whatever socks you may intend to wear in the moccs.

then add another freehand drawing of the same shape 2inches wider all the way around the foot shape

then cut out from the newspaper

thats as far as i have got at the moment i now need to measure the ball of my foot and cut out a similar shape to the internal foot shape but only third of the size and this will form the tongue of the moccassins

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE