Wood for a book cover?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dirty Karlos

Forager
Oct 16, 2007
Hull
www.karlholtby.com
Hi there!

I'm currently working on a photo-book.

I'm going to hand make this book and I was thinking of cedar wood for the cover.
The book itself will be quite small as it's a first attempt, at A5 (148x210mm).

I was thinking I'd only want it about 3mm thick or say 1/8" for those who prefer imperial ;)

Firstly, are there any wood experts (I guessed there would be lots here) that could advise, a) if this is actually a suitable wood for its intended purpose, if not recommend a good alternative; b) advice on thickness.

Any guidance hugely appreciated.

Best wishes

Karlos.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Lime wood is considered to be very stable. ( warping and cracks can be an issue with all woods)

I would think glueing two wood sheets at 90 degrees will lessen the problem.
3 sheets even better.
3 mm thick and 15cm x 21 cm is adventurous. I suspect a lot of flex, or just to weak.

I have used a thin high quality plywood for various projects. Even that it sometimes warps.
Edited for spelling

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirty Karlos

Dirty Karlos

Forager
Oct 16, 2007
Hull
www.karlholtby.com
Lime wood is considered to be very stable. ( warping and cracks can be an issue with all woods)

I would think glueing two wood sheets at 90 degrees will lessen the problem.
3 sheets even better.
3 mm thick and 15cm x 21 cm is adventurous. I suspect undos le, or just to we@k.

I have used a thin high quality plywood for various projects. Even that it sometimes warps.

Thank you. Having thought about it, perhaps 6mm would be more substantial and perhaps a bit more luxurious even!
Much appreciated :)

Reactions: Janne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE