Wild camp what is it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
I keep seeing the terminology wild camping. What is it? Are people merely referring to normal camping outside in the woods, off the beaten track and not at camp sites and caravan parks? Is this just another failing in our culture and language or is it something completely exciting and new I have completely missed?

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Around these parts, it usually means camping way off the beaten path, on state or federal land, where there are no regular campsites. It also usually means something different than your usual backpacking trip. Back in the 70s and 80s, I backpacked in quite a few designated wilderness areas but never built a fire. And even in huge wilderness areas, people often camped in the same places along the trail. A lot of these sites became devoid of firewood and the blackened stones from fires littered the area. It's one of the reasons people started carrying backpacking stoves.

The exception was when people did "bushwhacking," i.e., backpacking off the hiking trails on the map. But even then, fires were often used just for comfort. Cooking was almost always done with a backpacking stove.

At any rate, I'm not sure there is any totally agreed upon definition of the term "wild camping."

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Rough camping, ive been campoing on farmers fields in a 4 berth tent with nothing but a tap a bucket thats taken to the manhole cover ( the pig sty piles where up a hill) and some cows. Extrapolate that any way you wish and you'lll have wild camping !

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Think for most it means anywhere that isn't an official campsite.
Though it does have connotations of camping in places with no permission these days to folks South of the border it seems.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Think for most it means anywhere that isn't an official campsite.
Though it does have connotations of camping in places with no permission these days to folks South of the border it seems.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

I agree with Wild Camping being camping where there is no official camp site - South of the border this is usually also a place without permission!
It can be very difficult to find places, that are not camp sites, that allow any form of camping....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE