Trying my hand at blacksmithing!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Wow this month has gone by fast working on a farm in norway. They have a decent forge here and i received an hours tuition from the blacksmith before he left. The rest was left up to me, and i have been allowed to use the forge at my whim so i have been slowly getting aquainted with this iron beating malarky

First i made a door hook. Then some pendants: a trollcross (need protection from trolls in norway!) and some thors hammers. Then i started a knife blade in a seax style with a flat cutting edge (though it went a bit wonky when i hammered the bevels so need more work). the other day i made a large pot hook for the farm here, and last night i made myself a smaller pot hook and a belt buckle. I may get to spend a few more hours in the forge tonight as it is our last night on the farm before we head to sweden but thought i would share some pictures of my efforts whilst i have a good internet connection

cvzl.jpg

jw75.jpg

zq2u.jpg

I must say i am loving this! It is so strange coming from leatherwork to blacksmithing but the possibilities are just as endless and i now have a passion for hammering iron as much as carving leather. And now i can make buckles and whatnot i can combine both. I hope i can get access to another forge over the next year but either way i will build one in the future to pursue this superb craft. hats off to all the incredible blacksmiths here it is much harder than it looks!

Hamish

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
WOW. Hamish... as always you come out on top.... my iron work is just functional... wish I was that good.. Keep it up bud

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Quite something, very nice work.. If that's on an hours tuition, it'll be something to see your work once you've got into it!!

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Very respectable mate. Your curves are nice and even. ;) and not a stray hammer mark to be seen. Very tidy indeed matey.

They've some good smiths in Norway, learn what you can from them.

All the best
Andy

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Good work, Hamish!
Having tried some hotmetalbanging myself recently I can confirm that it is much harder than it looks.
Love the Thor's hammers and clothpin!

Dreadhead

Thanks everyone i am dead chuffed :) spent a few hours tonight making another pot hook but even smaller so there are now three sizes. And i tidied up the knife though the tang snapped! so it is now a half tang and the cutting edge needs to be flattened and sharpened up better but i am very pleased for my first try

no picture of the hook but here is the update on the seax blade taken in poor light

qbiq.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE