The fall of giants..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
I was last in the wood for a few nights about the middle of February, since when we have had the last of the winter gales. On this trip, just for 4 nights, I was sorry to see that the weather had taken it's toll. I believe a Beech Tree lives for between 350 and 400 years and when fallen takes almost as long to decay back into the earth.
This Beech although fallen may well live on for some years yet as some of her roots are still in the bank from which she fell.

LUn9Otml.jpg

3OiV335l.jpg

3k9mdw0l.jpg

In falling she struck another Beech which has now lost the top half.

So, seedlings about the time of the Great Fire of London and perhaps gone when Men and Women commute to Mars.

Nature has wielded her axe in other places too..

NhvTpQil.jpg

Thankfully this trip was cold nights and warm sunny days when the morning mist had cleared and the Easterly wind although chill at times was without strength.

UaaIx74l.jpg

c4HHq00l.jpg

When the mist fills the wood there are just the occasional few notes of birdsong, as if all the feathered folk are holding their breath, and then when the sun lights the wood the Blue Tits, Robins and anyone with something to sing about joins in...:D

kGobfmll.jpg

erryKn2l.jpg

Home for 5 days 4 nights...

i9lmBoUl.jpg

The weight of my Bergan encourages me to eat this lot as it's a 40 minute walk back to the transport and the trek in teaches me I'm not getting any younger...

Hj628Erl.jpg
....;)

The promise of Blue Bells looks good for this year but the wild Daffodils have beaten them to first showing.

7l8vl9sl.jpg

3pkawELl.jpg

In the early hours of the second morning I was awoken by what sounded like an Apple or Pickled Onion eating competition close outside the tent...Ha! Brock munching Blue Bell bulbs within feet of where I slept..

LC9tozAl.jpg

He's obviously a thoughtful Badger though as he's dug his latrine some distance from my camp..

bYePWLOl.jpg

After the rains of winter the boundary stream provides background music at night.

MM4LeOXl.jpg

By day I track the Deer and watch the life of the wood around me..

Deer trail..

bnvJLbFl.jpg

tB6pBjCl.jpg

Lunch for some perhaps...Not for me..

Hoer3fol.jpg

Small Mouse...big appetite..

gPK4J4Bl.jpg

Day 3..Disaster..my faithful camp kettle which I cache in the wood has developed a wobbly leaking spout, so it's brew kettle to the rescue..

EGMDqo5l.jpg

Nooo! Not Porridge again! I shall sack the cook I think..:D

CVMDbh3l.jpg

The Blow Poker I made and find so useful on winter camps when the air is still and damp kindling refuses to catch easily, was not needed this trip. The Easterly wind through the wood made for easy fire lighting.

rg7BEQTl.jpg

lTXkIz5l.jpg

Somehow this branch has grafted itself, the triangle is without a join!

CLpKF87l.jpg

The shapes of Nature intrigue me. This Ivy has almost tied itself in knots.

e482IwWl.jpg

Over a year ago I used Ivy to make a handle for a blade that I bought. A bolster and pommel plate from a salvaged brass finger plate off an old door, a couple of leather spacers and 3 wood screws. A few coats of Teak Oil and the knife has served me well and gets used very frequently. Ivy has it's uses..

d08N3OBl.jpg

f6ZhDIjl.jpg

The Holly Tree in the background lit up with white sparkles when the sun struck the shiney leaves.

34mvZjUl.jpg

Camp inspection by the local Deer..No don't get up we're just passing through..;)

BqqmVWhl.jpg

Home now, time enough to sort my gear and gather my rations and then back to the wood for Ostara.:)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Sad to see big trees fall - but that is Mother Nature for you!
It looks like a nice spot you were in - and a good trip!

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Some great shots of the local wildlife, looks a canny place to camp.

Thank's for posting.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I too like the knife but please, please rethink the use of wood screws for securing the pommel cap. There must be a more pleasing and less obtrusive manner of securing it.

Possibly like this?

Make another cap in a thicker material and drill 3 matching countersunk holes that permit the matching screws to sit .5mm or more below the surface.   Cover screw heads with a melted material of your choice, sand flush and polish entire cap surface so all you see is three shiny dots that look integral.  

You could fill with wax but clearly this will be less robust.  

Nice report too.

K

Last edited:

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
" There must be a more pleasing and less obtrusive manner of securing it "

:) You're right, and I agree. My only defence is that I wasn't at all sure how well the Ivy, although feeling very solid and robust, would survive as a knife handle on a blade which would get fairly heavy use. I don't think I've seen any of the very skilled knifemakers on the forum use Ivy as a handle, so I wasn't sure about it being suitable on a working knife, however appealing the natural grain was to me.

Having just used materials that were available, like the brass finger plate from a door, rather than bought them, I was happy with the result and then my mind set takes over I'm afraid...:D... If it works and does the required job then I consider it a success...an ugly one perhaps...but a success.
I do appreciate what you are saying though, and if the Ivy survives long term as a handle I may treat it to a face lift..:D

Jan 3, 2016
Buckinghamshire
Beech is one seriously tough, hard as nails, no-nonsense living organism... some Tree, I tell ya. I came across a few yesterday that'd taken a fall... still carrying on regardless. I'd imagine certain fungi will complete the death process in time.. but man, they just don't seem to care that much... whether Horizontal or vertical, or with half a bole missing. They just don't seem to flinch.

Extremely impressive tree.

DogRose

Forager
Apr 19, 2015
Isle of Wight
The stories that trees could tell...That looks like a really nice peaceful bit of woodland, great when it's just you and the wildlife. Nice write up

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE