Sunday lunch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Greenbeard

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2018
North yorkshire
Testing out a petromax skillet, having my breakfast for lunch :)

20180902_130700.jpg
It's working well and behaving itself, the eggs aren't glued to the pan yet haha.
Got some smoked bacon, eggs and mushrooms and about half a pack of butter in there :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
What's your heat source? You in the kitchen?
What stove heat would you use if you were down the track somewhere? One burner or two?

Bacon is Vitamin B. Bacon makes everybody happy. One of my food groups.
Hen-fruit fried in bacon fat is another. Just made crab & cream cheese-stuffed mushroom caps.
Trying to fathom a stove-top version.

Greenbeard

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2018
North yorkshire
I must admit it's not a glamourous woodland setting but my kitchen, it's an electric hob that only works with steel pans (safety feature) hate It! I keep the heat low to avoid sticking. Usually I use my trangia stove for a quick meal or brew if I'm in the truck or my favourite stove the optimus 111c makes a lovely meal if I've got more time. That's a good shout with the chopped chives, do they not have bacon and eggs in Sweden? If so this might change my emmigration plans haha :)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I live in Grand Cayman. UK bacon is different from the US and Canadian stuff we get here. Or Swedish bacon of course!

We get Waitrose bacon here, but I do not trust the supply chain had interrupted coldness.....
Some of the Waitrose charcuterie stuff looks really bad on the shelves.
Tells me not to trust even the fine looking packs.

British style bacon is the best......

No, do not the lack of ‘real’ bacon discourage you from moving to Sweden!
Lovely country, at least it was 23 years ago when I left!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Greenbeard has a brunch that I can smell from here.

You have yet to try Mitchell thick cut, double smoked bacon made in Saskatchewan, Canada.
Get your kid in Toronto to stock up for your next visit to the True North.
My favorite is the 1 kg packages of "Cottage Bacon" which are all the trim end slices from the really pretty packages.
That's all the outside bits that got more seasoning and more smoke than the middle slices got.

Big research study in the UK. Thousands of people.
1/2 of them had to eat 2 eggs a week. 1/2 of them had to eat 12 eggs a week.
Monthly cholesterol blood test. No difference, all in normal range.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Funny, we buy the ‘offcuts’ too!

Norway has a really nice bacon called Kyst bacon ( coast bacon) that we freeze and take home. Comes in big pieces, not sliced.
In addition to the traditional way to eat it it is superb to boil until soft, then eat with bread dumplings and cooked sauerkraut.

The main problem with greenbeards dish is that I would eat it all!
( then probably feel sick)

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Pace yourself, boy! Pace yourself. Can't rush a brunch like that one. I need toast.
If I was physically very active outdoors all day long, every day, I'd eat that and starve by noon.

We call that "slab bacon" = big single pieces, absolutely orange with hickory and apple wood smoke.
Not even a meat cutter in a big grocery store will have a good source.
Country people always do.

Country farm eggs use grasshoppers.
City store eggs use a lot of sweet paprika in the chicken feed to develop that color.
Same with fish-farmed trout.
Really fine dining.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Greenbeard has a brunch that I can smell from here.

You have yet to try Mitchell thick cut, double smoked bacon made in Saskatchewan, Canada.
Get your kid in Toronto to stock up for your next visit to the True North.
My favorite is the 1 kg packages of "Cottage Bacon" which are all the trim end slices from the really pretty packages.
That's all the outside bits that got more seasoning and more smoke than the middle slices got.

Big research study in the UK. Thousands of people.
1/2 of them had to eat 2 eggs a week. 1/2 of them had to eat 12 eggs a week.
Monthly cholesterol blood test. No difference, all in normal range.

I couldn't find a write-up of a trial in the UK, but I found a very similar one in Australia.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
A synopsis of that and many other myth-busting research points appears in Sciencedaily.com.
At least I think that was the digest that I found it in. Anyway, I ignore my egg consumption.
Probably eat more (6) in a batch of waffles that boiled in bacon fat!
I lived in Australia for 4 years. The traditional animal fat diet (steak & eggs breakfast, etc)
was one thing that I never, ever got used to.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE