Strange request! Cats eyes!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi All,
I know this is a bit much to ask, but has any kind soul out there got access to any cats eyes (the sort you find in the middle of the road, not in the head of a bird-eating monster!)?
The reason I ask is that we have to go night shooting for wildcats and often you've only got a pair of blue eyes to aim at, lit up by a spotlight at about 200m away, so I want to knock up a target with a cat sized silouette and a pair of road marking cats eyes that we can illuminate with the spot and then practice shooting at in realistic situations.
Before any cat lovers have a go at me please, please understand that it's all done in a very good cause as we are trying to prevent the extinction of some very scarce and endangered lizards that are only found here in Otago on the South Island of New Zealand. The cats are an introduced species and known predator of the Grand and Otago skinks.
Hope someone can help or at least hope you don't think I'm totally barking for wanting to try the idea out!
Cheers for now,
Jamie

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
Jamie,

Have you thought of using a couple of LED's, or something similar like the small Cylume sticks used as fishing lures?

The green Cylumes would be good becaues they will be green the same as the targets and almost the same size too... Good for low light and cheep to replace..

Cheers,

Karl

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
My cat's collar is a black band, with reflective cat's eye's in green across it (about 5 pairs in total). Looks really cool at night, like she's a mutant cat with 3 pairs of eyes shining back at you. You can probally get this in a pet-store..

Thanks for the replies All,
I'd love to get hold of some of those garden silouettes!. I can remember seeing them for sale somewhere I think. They'd be ideal.
Thanks for the idea about reflective tape. I tried to get some the other day but haven't had any luck yet but I did pick up some very sparkly and reflective blue (cats have blue eyeshine) and silver Christmas wrapping paper that I think might work.
The cats collar sounds interesting!
If anyone can get hold of the odd road marking cats eye or two and would be willing to send them to a UK address, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks again,
J

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
I think I saw in the press just recently that the old style, retro-reflective Percy Shaw cat's eyes were all to be replaced by the new solar powered LED jobbies.

Burnt Ash

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
Ok.....slow on the reply, but i did spend 5 days in the woods at the new year meet which was then followed by a First Aid at Work refresher :D

I managed to get hold of some cats eyes last week, so I need to cut them out of their rubbers and then they will be ready to go. I have got hold of a few colours, so you will have a few to play with.

Drop me a pm and I will get them on their way - I dont mind mailing direct to NZ.

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
Just a thought though, how long will that stand up to being shot at? I would have thought there may be a chance of nasty ricochets too. Reflective tape would sound like the best plan and it should be easy enough to get some, try a local material shop, they often stock it and you can get it by the meter.:)

Hi All,
Thanks for the relpies. A very nice man (thanks Rob) has obtained some cats eyes for me and will be sending them over soon. The folks on this forum are GREAT!
Steve - I understand what you're saying about cats eyes not standing up to much bullet abuse. We'll give it a go and see what happens. If we blow them to bits fairly quick, I'll have to have a rethink and I will try to get some reflective tape as a backup/alternative.
Cheers,
Jamie

Pity you're not in the UK, every time they dig up the M4 they dump the resulting hardcore on the Fosse way to strengthen it against greenlaners...... it's littered with cats eyes!

Good luck in your search though!

W x

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Just travelled from Sunderland to London on the A1 and I noticed there was loads of them chucked at the side of the motorway while we were slowed down by roadworks, I was tempted to jump out and grab a few but the traffic wasn't slow moving enough.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE