Sleeping bag confusion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Ok - I'll admit to new being a bit confused.

I was camping out this last Saturday night in West Hampshire/Dorset border area. It wasn't that cold out (nowhere near freezing) but there were some blustery winds and some rain, but I took with me my Nanok -10 Endurance bag.

And was cold for most of the night.

The bag has been stored loose since the last time I used it (wintermoot, when it kept me toastywarm in the hammock), and I am at a loss to explain just why this bag is performing in such a way.

Any suggestions, anyone? I bought the bag for just the purpose of camping comfortably in winter, and to be honest I'm simply not sure I can trust it. Considering the cost I paid, that's a little annoying.

Extra info: in the morning the very foot of the bag was damp - it wasn't touching the sides of the tent (which weren't damp, anyway) to my knoweledge, and I'm pretty sure my feet don't sweat that much. It's not the tent leaking, as all the rest of the inside was dry, with no signs of leaking on either the inner OR the outer.

Signed: Confused of Aldershot :confused:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Hi Womble, did you sleep with socks on or any clothes on?

I have found that socks actually made me colder... also, what mat did you use?

The wet/damp had to come from somewhere... I wonder if something sprung a small leak somewhere.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Squidders said:
Hi Womble, (1) did you sleep with socks on or any clothes on?

I have found that socks actually made me colder... (2) also, what mat did you use?

The wet/damp had to come from somewhere... (3) I wonder if something sprung a small leak somewhere.

1) teeshirt and undies - No socks

2) Thermarest full length about 4/5cm thick and fully inflated.

3) What are you suggesting??? :D

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I agree with Squidders, i find that if i leave my socks on a night i feel that my feet feel physically cold in the morning. But I will often leave my trousers on and put on a cotton t-shirt on in the winter.

Perhaps you weren't actually cold...but were just feeling the cold? Was your skin cold to the touch? Perhaps your body was quite warm and it was just the cool air temperature that you were feeling? I know thats happened to me in the past and i've found that my opening up the bag and cooling myself down a bit physically I've then being able to sleep comfortably. Sounds a bit odd i know LOL. :)

You didnt have any accidents during the night did you? :rolleyes: :lmao: only jesting. :p

Bjorn Victor

Forager
Apr 3, 2006
Belgium
Maybe you were cold when you got in the bag. A bag itself is not warm, it just contains heat inside. If you are cold, there is no heat to be contained, hence you sleep cold all through the night.

Solution: eat before you get in the bag and do sit ups once in the bag.

Bjorn

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I've found that if I'm knackered or haven't had enough to eat, I usually have a fairly miserable and often chilly night. Was that the case for you? Similarly, getting into the habit of slowing down your rate of walking about twenty minutes before you set up camp means that your clothes are less sweaty and so do a better job of keeping you warm. If none of these apply, it seems to be rather mysterious, especially the leak...

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I haven't used the nanok bags, but the normal tip during cold weather is to make the inner collar (which I assume the bag has) fit snugly around the neck, and wear a warm hat/cap (I usually use a rabbit fur hat). And, of course, try to be warm before going to bed, some hot brew, and some movements are ideal.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
My Nanok -10 bag has just arrived today and I noticed the foot bucket thing at the bottom is alot colder than the rest of the bag. But it can be removed as it has velcro around it, a long shot I know, but was yours still left on?

kram245

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2006
suffolk
socks absorb moisture during the days activities, so a fresh pair on at night will keep you warmer. i find its a bit like wearing a hat, warm, dry socks will have a be beneficial efect on your warmth.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
kram245 said:
socks absorb moisture during the days activities, so a fresh pair on at night will keep you warmer. i find its a bit like wearing a hat, warm, dry socks will have a be beneficial efect on your warmth.

I agree, and have used this technique before.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE