Recommendation for UHF units for Jungle use

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hi All,

We are looking for a UHF radio for use in a secondary and primary forest for communication between groups.

Needs to be robust and reasonably splashproof , easy on the batteries and of course a decent range in demanding environments.

As always BCUK is the first port of call for opinions so please opine

Pterodaktyl

Jun 17, 2013
Devon
Assuming you are looking at licensed radios and not just the licence-free PMR446 handhelds, the Motorola GP340 is probably your best bet. Avoid the cheap eBay radios from Chinese manufacturers such as Baofeng or Wouxun - they are good radios for the price but are unlikely to be robust enough for the kind of use you have in mind. This also applies to the Mitex brand radios sold in Maplins which are actually re-branded cheap Chinese handhelds sold at a large mark-up.

Are you definitely tied to UHF? VHF tends to perform slightly better in wooded areas although to be honest the range of any handheld is going to be severely compromised in dense forest.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Actually I've had very good results with the Baofeng UV5R. It's built like a tank. It does need an antennae change though for better range, but those are cheap also.
-Baofeng UV5R = about $40
-Upgrade antennae = about $12

Comparable Yaesu (granted a better radio) = about $180

Both radios provide both UHF and VHF capability in one radio.

ZEbbEDY

Nomad
Feb 9, 2011
Highlands
ive got baofeng uv-3r and uv-b5 and have dropped them several times, also dropped on wet boggy ground and still going strong, use them out in the rain also and as long as they arent getting directly soaked no prob so far... range wise line of site is important but ive had couple of miles , i use the nagoya 771 antenna, can get both from 409shop.com

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
what range do you require? i.e. do you need to talk back to a base camp? or is it just to talk to members of a single group? i.e. no more than 1 Km away? as UHF is very bad in built up areas or with heavy vegetation and hills. (Very line of sight at this freq. as the wavelength is so small.) your range is likely to be less than 1 Km at best.

So if you need to keep in contact with a base camp then you would be better off using HF and NVIS antennas very low to the ground say 8-12 feet high max so your signal bounces straight up and back down. If using the amateur radio bands then I would try 7 Mhz in the day, and 3 Mhz at night.

take a look at the following link for an idea:-

http://www.tactical-link.com/field_deployed_nvis.htm

Hope this helps

Thanks

Rick

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
ive got baofeng uv-3r and uv-b5 and have dropped them several times, also dropped on wet boggy ground and still going strong, use them out in the rain also and as long as they arent getting directly soaked no prob so far... range wise line of site is important but ive had couple of miles , i use the nagoya 771 antenna, can get both from 409shop.com

I've hit the repeater from 18 miles with the UV5R on 2 meters. I also use the Nagoya antennae.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Hi
Hi from experience in the forces, whilst in Belize we used HF radio, unless line of sight, VHF and UHF just don't work, jungles are not flat!

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
I've hit the repeater from 18 miles with the UV5R on 2 meters. I also use the Nagoya antennae.

you may have done but the repeater was doing all the work as it was probably sited in a very good place with a high location, HT to HT in thick vegetation is not going to work 18 miles.

I also have a UV5R good little cheap radios, good for local work, bad point is setting up the memories, get the programming lead and set up via the computer

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
you may have done but the repeater was doing all the work as it was probably sited in a very good place with a high location, HT to HT in thick vegetation is not going to work 18 miles.

I also have a UV5R good little cheap radios, good for local work, bad point is setting up the memories, get the programming lead and set up via the computer

Yeah the repeater's obviously on a radio tower. Plus 1 about getting the programming lead and software. I've done mine manually but that's the weak point with BF radios; they just aren't especially intuitive to program. There are some good programming tutorials on youtube though.

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
Hi All,

We are looking for a UHF radio for use in a secondary and primary forest for communication between groups.

Needs to be robust and reasonably splashproof , easy on the batteries and of course a decent range in demanding environments.

As always BCUK is the first port of call for opinions so please opine

Hi BOD forgot to ask if you had your amateur radio licence? as you will need too have one to use the radios that have been mentioned in this thread. That includes everyone who is going to use them in your outings, don't worry its very easy to pass and does not take long if you need more info take a look at the following site:-

http://rsgb.org/main/clubs-and-education/for-students/foundation/

if you don't want to take the exam or do the course you have two options, one get a PMR 466 radio of the internet or Argos (These only put out 500mW of RF so are very limited), two use CB radio that's now unlicensed. (you may find some hand held CB radios on eBay or the following link:-

http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/handheld-cbs.html

If you need more help then just ask and I can help you out.

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
I think that the OP will be using the radios abroad as there is little jungle in the UK.

Rainforest/jungle environments are very unforgiving. Only a fully immersion proof set will be reliable and that will need extra preparation for charging and maintenance. UHF and VHF will disappoint as the wet vegetation absorbs the signal, it is bad enough in the UK in our forests. HF and NVIS is really the only way to go.

Whilst some sort of licence will almost certainly by needed wherever you are in the world a Foundation licence will not cut the mustard. Many countries offer reciprocal licences to Hams but only at the top level. You need to hold a full licence to get a reciprocal and that often takes many months, for Singapore you would be lucky to get one within nine months and your radio kit must be inspected by their version of OFCOM.

Some countries treat radios with suspicion and without special government permissions you are likely to lose them as you enter the country.

Overall it is best to liaise with the people where you are going and get them to make all the arrangements and supply the kit.

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
second what IanM said, forgot that BOD wanted it for abroad, but for others reading the thread get your ham licence as its a lot of fun and educational to. I like to take the radio out with me when bushcrafting and combine the two hobbies.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Don't forget BOD isn't in the UK now so it's unlikely he'll be getting a UK foundation license. Does anybody have a link for Australia's licensing authority? Or their equivalent of RSGB?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE