Pocketboy 130

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

godfather

Nomad
Oct 28, 2003
Hertfordshire
Hope everyone had a good Christmas.
I was given some money and want another saw (I have a Laplander already) and saw the pocketboy. Has anyone had any experience with them? Any good?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have a pocketboy 130 (Large teeth). Its a superb saw - easy to carry in a leg pocket, more comfortable in hand and as good if not better at sawing than the Laplander. I have both and if I had no saw, I would buy the pocketboy. That said both are very capable

Red

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
I don't own one but I've had a go with a Pocketboy and the thing cut's like a chainsaw.

I'd have to disagree with Red though about the comfort - I find my Laplander more comfortable but that's purely down to personal taste and the fact that I'm so used to using a Laplander that it's only natural that I'd find a different saw uncomfortable.

From my experiance, and from what I've heard from others, you can't go far wrong with one. If I were looking for a new saw it'd be the first I'd consider.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
Just a quick bit of advice. I personally wouldn't get it from Woodlore, if that's what you were thinking. They charge twice as much for their Laplander than I paid for it on Amazon so I'm assuming the case will be the same with the Pocketboy.

You can get the Pocketboy about £5 cheaper from here:

http://www.qualitygardentools.com/hand-tools/saws/silky-saws/viewcategory?gclid=COL-jdWCyZACFQhFMAodjxf8Ow
And it comes in a range of colours (pink anyone? :cool: )

I'm sure if you hunt around you'd be able to get a better bargain than that too.

godfather

Nomad
Oct 28, 2003
Hertfordshire
Pink hhhhhhhhmmmmmmm.
Thanks to all for the advice and for a cheap place to get the Pocketboy from.
I am now suitably exited like a little school boy at the arrival of a new saw.
BritishRed, did it come with a pouch?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nope - sort of a clear plastic box with a belt loop. Not my cup of tea so I haven't used it.

I'll get to a leather belt pouch one day

Red

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I've just bought one of these and it is a great piece of kit. (Red, your pouch is ready, I'll post some pics next week for you to peruse)

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
No probs mate ;) - you know where I am if you need anything in the future!

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Silkys all the way. A far superior and profesional saw, designed to be used every day rather than occationally. I have the pocket boy, gomboy and the mighty zubat which I prefer to a bowsaw anyday. However you can get cheap pocket saws with a very similar blade from diy stores, but the handles arn't as compact, or are but break easy.

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Pink is a great colour for a bushsaw
You can always spot it when you're out
Nobodys gonna borrow it (or if they do, they'll know its not theirs)
You won't look like a Rambo/Survivalist type

I spray painted all my site tools (badly) with hi-vis pink once, I didn't 'lose' a single thing for a year (before that I was replacing odd bits all the time)

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I've got the 8 tpi (Extra-Large Teeth) one and it just ripped through some dried apple-wood I tried it on. The teeth are slightly coarser than my Bahco, but much longer.

I only bought it to make Red a sheath, but it's looking like a keeper. It also looks like it will be possible to rescale it, so I'll have a go with some Rosewood I have around and post the results if it works out.

Has anyone else tried this?

godfather

Nomad
Oct 28, 2003
Hertfordshire
Well, the pocketboy arrived with great service from quality garden tools. I have just got in from sawing some hazel and it felt great and made the construction of a fire reflector a sinch. Thanks for your advice. I now need to find a sheath for it as the plastic hard case is not that great.:)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
godfather,

I'd suggest a quiet word with shep ;)

I contacted him to do one for me when I saw his saw sheaths - lovely work and a corking price! Plus he has one ready to use as a pattern!

Red

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Yup,
happy to oblige. Godfather, PM me if you're keen. Get'em while the goings good, the rubber scales are coming off next week for the aforementioned rescaling project.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'd like to compare one to my Spear and Jackson saw sometime, I'm not convinced that there can be a great deal of difference between all of these folding saws. I believe the Lapplander cuts on both the pull and push whereas most others cut on the pull stroke, apart from that there isn't much in it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE