Often wondered

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
One thing I always found lacking in books and information about bushcraft (woodslore, whatever your preferred term might be) was any reasonable discussion of legal issues. Presumably authors hesitate to put forward definitive rules of law in case they are held liable, and doubtless I've missed such information here and there, but the novice will inevitably want to know if their activities are legal.

A prime example is our most essential tool, the knife. You can't wander down the local High Street with a fixed-blade knife in your hand, but I cannot ever recall reading a book where the beginner is told what the laws on carrying and using a knife are. And of course I know that asking the Police will get you an answer, but my point is that a few glaringly important matters such as this are rarely, if ever addressed.

Or am I the only one to ever think about it?

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
I agree. This seems to be rarely discussed in bushcraft / outdoors articles, but is well debated in knife / martial arts forums. There's a legal thread running over at british blades that while focussed on folding knives is also applicable to anything sharp or pointy. Cheers.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
bigjackbrass - it was great to meet you at the gathering.

Articles on the legal aspects of what we do is in the pipeline, as you have both pointed out there is a huge lacking in legal info on what we do. And because of what we do there are layers of law to get into. Access rights, edged tools, fires, camping etc etc..

Like I said, it's in the pipeline.....if anyone has any resources or knowledge on this let me know

Cheers
T

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Good to hear that info is on the way. Thanks for that, Tone.

As for having met me at the gathering... err, sure you've got the right man?

A

Anonymous

bigjackbrass said:
Good to hear that info is on the way. Thanks for that, Tone.

As for having met me at the gathering... err, sure you've got the right man?

Ahh, your right, I met big nurse :mrgreen: not big jack!! But hey, I know it would have been just as good to meet you! :super:

I got to hear that there were a few people at the gathering that are regulars on the site.

Anyway, the law stuff, I've even been sourcing some expertise today! So hopefully we should see some stuff in the next few months.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
the law on knives is simple - anything over 3 inches or with a lock can legally be classed as a weapon.

If stopped/arrested the defendant is classed as guilty and it is their task to prove they have reasonable reasons for carrying it.

If charged the minimum term is 6 months.

If in doubt please check with your local police force.

S

sez

What about access/land rights?

I took my daughter camping on what is actually National Trust land, but hey, no one goes near, they don't even walk that side of the stream (I can't begin to tell you how perfect it was, not much fuel though - all gorse). I wasn't sure I was was right to, so I waited until most of the walkers had gone for the day before we pitched the tent, but on the other hand, there's a place on the cycle path from Penzance to Marazion (where St. Michaels Mount is) where people camp quite openly.

There are a lot of moors and such like in my area, am I free to camp on them?

I take exception to paying more than a couple of quid to camp in someones field.

Sez

Leon

Sep 14, 2003
Lincolnshire
Hi Sez,
Unfortunately, I believe the official position is 'not without permission of the landowner' and every bit of land belongs to 'someone'. :cry:
I'm not, however, anything like an authority on the fine detail of the legislation involved but here are a couple of links that cover the subject in a bit more detail:
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=440
http://www.bassplace.freeserve.co.uk/wildcamp/wild_camping.htm#legalities

I do hear the odd rumour, though, that not everyone sticks to the very letter of the law: shocking!! :wink:

[/i][/quote]

S

sez

Thanks Leon, I'll give it a look see. I must admit that I tend to take the view that if I'm not doing any harm, and I'm not in the way, or even visible, then why not?

Sez

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE