Mad Dave's Five Hour Forge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Well !!
I got bored as I sometimes do... It was raining and Jules said "why don't you go make something in the shed?" What a good idea !! So over two evenings (3 hrs thursday and 2 hrs friday) I made myself a forge... And I took piccies ;)

Rooting through all the junk in my shed I found just the stuff I needed. An old 12KG gas bottle, some steel tube off a broken garden hammock, the hose off an old vacuum cleaner and Jules' old hairdryer...

whatsneeded9mz.jpg

Now before you start there are some very important things you must do. 1st wear suitable protective gear as you will be mucking about with cutting disks, grinders, welders and fire. So you'll be wanting boots, overalls, gloves, hearing protection and eye protection :cool:
safety7se.jpg

About a week before you want to begin, take your old gas bottle into a nice open space and remove the valve by loosening it a little with a spanner then unscrewing the rest CAREFULLY by hand. The valve and it's seat are brass so it's quite safe,
valveremove8xl.jpg

HOWEVER ***DO NOT HAVE ANY SOURCE OF IGNITION WITHIN 100M OF YOURSELF***** as when you take the valve off there will still be a fair bit of LPG in the bottle that will rush out. Once all activity has stopped, fill the bottle right to the top with water, leave for a day then empty it out. The gas bottle is now safe to start chopping up.

Mark a line around the base of the gas bottle about 16 cm deep (I used the side of a small jerrican as a guide.
markingout0up.jpg

Now strap the bottle firmly to your workbench and get Medieval with the grinder !! :D
strapped3ip.jpg

cuttingbottle8jt.jpg

You should end up with something like this....
cleaned9hm.jpg

Now you need to get a bit of steel tubing around 20 cm long and about 4cm in diameter, put it on the base of the "forgepan" and mark around it. Make an inner circle about 3mm inside this mark and cut out the shaded section (I use a drill and jigsaw for this)
markbase6fz.jpg

basemarked4fq.jpg

You can then weld the pipe on. As you can see my welding it a bit like pigeon poo, but as long as it's airtight it doesn't have to be pretty.
pipeweld19zk.jpg

Remember safety when welding too "LUKE.....LUKE.... I AM YOUR FATHER !!!"
darth6uj.jpg

When you have welded the base pipe on, you will need to weld an old nut on the bottom of it and a T piece about 30cms long after cutting a hole in the side of the downpipe. See pics below. However I'm sure this could be done with large plumbing fittings if need be...
nut6on.jpg

crossbit3vj.jpg

The whole base should look like the pic below now.
basefinish6ii.jpg

Now all we have to do is fit the legs, ashflap, hose and hairdryer. but before that you'll need a steel disk about 15/20cms diameter drilled with lots of holes to act as a diffuser for the air. I used an old steel lid off some pot I found in the shed and this just sits over the hole in the base of the forge.
This is the old lid...
lid0lt.jpg

And this is where it sits
baseplatefitted7yt.jpg

OK remember the old nut we welded to the base of the downpipe?... We use that to install a close fitting ash flap that can allow the ash to drop through the forge and also regulate the air pressure by opening and closing.
ashflapseal7kv.jpg

The legs are simply 3 bits of the old garden hammock tube with a slot cut in each so they sit flush with the firepan. These are simply bolted onto the side.
legscut6tp.jpg

And now all we have to do is fit the hose and the hairdryer. Ladies and Gentlemen I give you the "Five Hour Forge Mk I
finished2rx.jpg

Ok but does it work?? Let's see.... Charcoal in and lit... on with the hairdryer and after a few pensive minutes........ YEEEEEEEESSSSS
fireone5ts.jpg

It get's the old metal nice and hot too !!
eureka3dq.jpg

And the good thing about using Charcoal in your forge is that it has another great use when you're done....
yum6jj.jpg

kebab3ed.jpg

Well!! It's hungry work all this metal malarkey !!

Hope this is of use to you.
This forge is an adaptation of the Viking Metalworks brake drum forge that can be found at the site below.
http://www.vikingmetalworks.com/firepot.html

****REMEMBER SAFETY ALWAYS WHEN USING A FORGE ! FIRE IS DANGEROUS***

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Excellent - very inspiring (just wish I still had a garden shed to play in!).

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Brilliant - good work!

Those gas cylinders are designed to stand up to a lot, so I'm sure it will be pretty durable.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
nice forge made out of easy to get parts
you gave a great tutorial aswell
well done

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Cheers guys

I just figured like me there are a few of us who'd like to try and make themselves a knife or a firesteel etc but don't want to be paying megabucks for a forge, so I looked in the shed and the rest is history. I have had another thought though. If you wanted it as a portable unit, you could go to your local car dismantlers and grab the blower unit from the car heater and hook it up to a 12v battery. Then you could take your forge in the field !! :D

*Edit

Ya like me welds then Hoodoo :p Hahahaha I know I have a couple of buddies who are welders by trade. They made me print those pics off so they could take em into work for a laugh........ Can't say I blame em :lmao:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
dave that is a great tutorial, im going to have a crack at it sometime as tomtom forge mark 1 was "cleared away" and this look much more perminant than a bunch of breeze blocks (that will teach 'em :D)

you get a rep point!

...now where to find an empty gas bottle!

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
tomtom said:
...now where to find an empty gas bottle!

Laybys, creeks, my local woods. :(

Great to see something useful made from gear that all too often ends up disgarded in the wrong place.

Any plans for the rest of the gas bottle? A brazier maybe?

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
FANTESTICAL tutorial and excellent pics well done! Now what are you gonna make with it ? and will you post some more pics when you have forged some bits? :You_Rock_

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
bloodline said:
FANTESTICAL tutorial and excellent pics well done! Now what are you gonna make with it ? and will you post some more pics when you have forged some bits? :You_Rock_

Hi mate.

I'm thinking of making a knife first off, then maybe a few "strike a lights". Just waiting on my flat bar to start and then I'm away !! :D

Hmmm good idea George (goes to have another look in the shed) :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE