Leather thinning help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

unit392

Mar 16, 2015
Central Europe
Hello guys,

I've just bought a new leather belt, to replace an old torn one. Width matches perfectly with the buckle's, but I've ran into a problem I didn't even expect: the belt is too thick, and I simply can't get it through the buckle. I've tried thinning it with a knife, but without much success. So my question is: can someone recommend a method to remove about 1/3 of a leather belt's thickness?

Thanks for the help in advance!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I find that a good sharp knife works fine - I use my Peltonen for this job whenever I make belts or straps that need thinning...
Place the leather on a cutting mat parallel to a tables edge.
Hold the blade across the belt at the point you wish to start thinning, angled to the depth you wish to finish at at the end of the belt.
then either
Carefully "saw" the blade back and forth towards the finished edge
or
Have someone carefully pull the leather while you lock the blade in place to cut the leather.

The second option is easiest if you want to thin out a section in the middle of a strap as you cave total control of the angle of the blade... as long as the "puller" is careful too :)

Alternatively - clamp the leather to the table with the end pointing towards you and use the knife as a draw knife.

I have used all these methods and they all work - the trick is having a really sharp knife....

knifeman

Forager
May 27, 2015
england
Leather workers use what's called a skiving knife, it's like a chisel with an angled blade but any sharp knife would work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I use the same tool as dreahead and it works well once you keep a fresh blade in there. However, as said, a normal knife or a stanley knife or craft knife will do fine, if you are careful and take your time. Although not ideal, you can also sand some of it away using sand paper and a block. Take your time and any removak method will work.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
I use the same tool as dreahead and it works well once you keep a fresh blade in there. However, as said, a normal knife or a stanley knife or craft knife will do fine, if you are careful and take your time. Although not ideal, you can also sand some of it away using sand paper and a block. Take your time and any removak method will work.
I don't know about you, but I've also tried tandys all singing and dancing 'super skiver' and found it to be a real pain as the angle is such that it cuts far too deep. The safety skivers are perfect for removing that very shallow layer, although they do bend and snap if used with too much force so I have gone through a couple now.

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I havn't tried the 'super' skiver. I've been happy with the other one so havn't needed to. Looks like i made a. Lucky first choice. I guess.

Havn't broken one yet, but i've gone through a few blades alright.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE