leather suppliers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
can anyone recommend a really good veg tanned leather supplier please? i have the tools but no leather, no experience with suppliers and want to make sheaths for my knives and for my axe. thanks

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
thanks chas! ill take a look at those too :)

EDIT: that second link with the pics... i can almost smell the leather :happy: Going to spend time and money in that shop... i can tell... and it's only an hour on the bus... perfect!

Last edited:

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
thanks chas! ill take a look at those too :)

EDIT: that second link with the pics... i can almost smell the leather :happy: Going to spend time and money in that shop... i can tell... and it's only an hour on the bus... perfect!
Its certainly an experience, when I first visited you step through the wooden door and its like stepping back in time ;-)

Reactions: boubindica

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
got some leather scraps, a shoulder of veg tanned hide and dyes from there today... very helpful team. thanks to you all for your help :)

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
got some leather scraps, a shoulder of veg tanned hide and dyes from there today... very helpful team. thanks to you all for your help :)
Excellent. I am planning a trip down in about two weeks.

I would be interested in how you finds the dyes. Are they water or oil based ? I have never had very good results from water based ones and tend to stick with Fiebings Oil Dyes.
These give good results, but are not particually cheap.

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
Excellent. I am planning a trip down in about two weeks.

I would be interested in how you finds the dyes. Are they water or oil based ? I have never had very good results from water based ones and tend to stick with Fiebings Oil Dyes.
These give good results, but are not particually cheap.
I think they must be oil based because he recommended i dilute them with propyl alcohol (60% dye 40% alcohol), which i also bought there, and to put this mixture in a container with a fine mist nozzle. He said the result would be much better than using those daubber thingys... it will be a while before i actually use the dyes because i have to make the items first, but i will post results when i do that.

Actually, i just looked at the dyes i got and they are Fiebings so yes, oil based... i think they were around £13 for 936ml... the name on the propyl alcohol is PROPAN-02-OL... im just assuming that is propyl alcohol because that's what he called it.

I'm thinking that spraying it as a fine mist will probably be more economic than painting it on and he said doing it this way would make the result much smoother... i think a few coats would be required.

Its a great little shop :)

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
I think they must be oil based because he recommended i dilute them with propyl alcohol (60% dye 40% alcohol), which i also bought there, and to put this mixture in a container with a fine mist nozzle. He said the result would be much better than using those daubber thingys... it will be a while before i actually use the dyes because i have to make the items first, but i will post results when i do that.

Actually, i just looked at the dyes i got and they are Fiebings so yes, oil based... i think they were around £13 for 936ml... the name on the propyl alcohol is PROPAN-02-OL... im just assuming that is propyl alcohol because that's what he called it.

I'm thinking that spraying it as a fine mist will probably be more economic than painting it on and he said doing it this way would make the result much smoother... i think a few coats would be required.

Its a great little shop :)

Even using a duaber, it soaks it quickly for the first coat. I used some Spanish Brown today and the first 2 coats are no where near enough, it will probably take 5 coats(ran out of dye, so just waiting for somemore to turn up). Where as black will cover completly in two coats. I sometime think mine out, I use acetone normally.

This is two coats

Untitled by Leaky5, on Flickr

This 4 or 5 and polished

I think this was 6 or 7

Last edited:

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
I suppose it depends what look you're after. That slightly mottled look makes it look older.

Now I know why leather goods are so expensive :/

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE