Leather Finishes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
Over the last few weeks ive been trying out leatherwork stuff of which i will post some pics over the next few days. As ive moved on from bags and rolls etc i am looking for advice for finishing more difficult (for me) items. i see folk use a variety of finishes like Resolene, Carnauba wax etc. can people advise me what type of finish i will get with these products. I have made belts, a knife pouch for a multitool and am going to start my first sheath tommorow. I have not used any type of finish on anything so far. To my uneducated eye it is not clear so any advice will be most welcome.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Hi mate, I hope all is well, I finish my sheaths as standered with carnauba cream, and depending where my customer is in the world, or what type of environment that they are in, I then apply a finish according to what they tell me, are they in snow a lot, a wet environment a lot, a sandy environment a lot, as for this country, then it is mainly raining lol, so you can add a snow seal, or a wax of some sort to aid with water repelance, because you want to aid in this as much as possible really,nas no leather sheath should be soaking wet all the time really, if that's the case and as much as I hate to say this, you are better with a kydex sheath, nit so bad for over here, but where people are in jungles or very hot and humid places I think kydex works better for that.
hope that as helped a little mate, if you need any more advice please dont hesitate to ask.
take care.
lee.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I use mink oil inside and out prior to dyeing, really let it soak in. The leather will take an oil dye on top of it. Then after the dye i use Carnauba cream. So you get a fully oiled and waxed sheath which is pretty impermeable to water. :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I normally finish my leather work with a choice of home made oil/wax mix, Nikwax or for soft items Neetsfoot oil.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE