Lanterns

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

knifeman

Forager
May 27, 2015
england
Could anyone recommend a make/model of a paraffin lantern? Like the traditional ones they used along the frontier. Because I'm looking at them as a source of light around camp, at night and early morning.
ATB
George

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
George, IME the standard 'storm' lanterns are pretty rubbish. Feeble light and the mechanisms are prone to rust up.

Do you want to use them for the look and feel?

knifeman

Forager
May 27, 2015
england
George, IME the standard 'storm' lanterns are pretty rubbish. Feeble light and the mechanisms are prone to rust up.

Do you want to use them for the look and feel?

It doesn't have to be a storm lantern. It's just that they looked like the most readily available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The only kerosene lantern I would buy is the German made Feuerhand lantern. Had one for over 30 years, still superb. And you can buy spare parts "forever", which can not be said of the Chinese made junk.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Aladdin have always been good www.Aladdin-us.com However for maximum light outpu, avoid the decorative (frosted, etc.) chimneys and go with the clear ones. Also select the biggest lamp practical.

Not really good for field use (too fragile, heavy, cumbersome to carry around) but great in the home. It's one of my fall-backs during hurricane season.

Last edited:

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
I asked a similar question a few months back on the Petromax I ended up buying a couple of Feuerhand storm lanterns. As already mentioned these don't have seals so don't knock them over unless you want lamp oil on the floor. They give usable light for our patio and are a handy backup for power cuts.

Screenshot from 2016-03-17 01:22:30.jpg

Couple of things to remember.

1, Fill the lamp, let the wick soak for a few minutes and light. Let it burn for around 3 -5 minutes, extinguish. This pre burning will make lighting easier next time.

2, My neighbour told me about this one. Many people complain lamps give off a bad smell. He said to light it in another room or outside and let it burn for about 5 minutes to reach operating temp for the lamp and wick. Then bring it into the room where you want it. In Victorian times lamps were lit in the lamp room or scullery I suppose to keep the smell down in the rest of the house.

Nov 5, 2014
Cheshire
Dietz.....had three of them for about 15 yrs. Use them twice a week overnight April to October whilst overnighting in my wood. Good piece of kit

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I'm a fan of the cheap rechargeable LED lanterns off ebay. I tried paraffin lamps for a while but got sick of messing about trying to fill them, the smell, and the fact they were never that bright anyway, then as has been mentioned drop them and you'll have oil everywhere. Looking on ebay they even have led ones that have a dimmer switch on them, these seem ideal.

Tonyuk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE