Jacket hood and cuff design features?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Right, my wife has kindly offered to make me a Ventile jacket, she's awfully good with her sewing machines and I have another jacket that I am happy with the shape of so most of that jacket will be used as the pattern for the new one.

The only parts of my old jacket shape and design that I'm not totally happy with are the hood and the cuffs.
The cuffs are just elasticated and the hoods adjustment is bleedin awful.
Can anyone recommenced what they like in this respect and explain why one design is better for them than another?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I like a loose cuff with either a velcro strap or press studs for adjustment. I have three studs on my Kestrel smock cuffs and they work really well. The hood rolls away into the collar but again I've found it works really well for me, big enough to allow headwear to be worn but not too big to impair vision. Adjustment is just a simple cord and toggle at each side.

I can do some pics if you're interested.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I like a loose cuff with either a velcro strap or press studs for adjustment. I have three studs on my Kestrel smock cuffs and they work really well. The hood rolls away into the collar but again I've found it works really well for me, big enough to allow headwear to be worn but not too big to impair vision. Adjustment is just a simple cord and toggle at each side.

I can do some pics if you're interested.

Thanks very much.
A picture of the hood adjustment would be handy if its no problem, I'll have a good look at the posh Berghaus jackets in the local outdoors shop as well.
I doubt I will go for the hood in the collar detail though.
Perhaps I should have said at the start that its really a smock with no long front zip I'm getting made, its got a short zip up the front just for adjusting the collar then a big front pocket, plus a joined handwarmer pocket that I pretty much never use.

I can't say I have ever thought about this before, otherwise I would have paid more heed to it all.

Regards Scott.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A cuff loose enough to roll up if you want, fastened with a largeish velcro tab - plus a detatchable hood that can also roll away into the collar and has fore and aft as well as side to side volume adjusters, a stiffened peak or perhaps a wired rim and a front drawcord that has captive ends and locking adjusterers at each side.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thanks very much.
A picture of the hood adjustment would be handy if its no problem, I'll have a good look at the posh Berghaus jackets in the local outdoors shop as well.
I doubt I will go for the hood in the collar detail though.
Perhaps I should have said at the start that its really a smock with no long front zip I'm getting made, its got a short zip up the front just for adjusting the collar then a big front pocket, plus a joined handwarmer pocket that I pretty much never use.

I can't say I have ever thought about this before, otherwise I would have paid more heed to it all.

Regards Scott.

You might find the pics of my smock useful on here ....

http://www.countryinnovation.com/kestrel-smock-1.html

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Mmm, I was hoping John would add to this one, good stuff.

Wired hood, that was pretty much on my list anyway. Drawstring at adjuster at the back of the hood sounds like a good idea cos I can't stand hoods that end up like a monks cowl and you can't see a damn thing when you're wearing them.

The cuffs, I had an M65 jacket when I was a young spod that had popper buttons on the cuffs, quite liked those but I know what Johns saying about Velcro and having wide sleeves so they can be adjusted a lot and pulled up.

I'm liking that Kestrel smock there, what the lining like? Also it looks like its got side zips a bit like a Buffalo mountain shirt thing, is that right?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm liking that Kestrel smock there, what the lining like? Also it looks like its got side zips a bit like a Buffalo mountain shirt thing, is that right?

The lining is good, it's their own Innovation XL stuff I think. I've had mine for about two years and it's been a fantastic coat so far. Mine is the older model though which doesn't have the side zips.
The first time I wore it was on a trip to the west coast of Scotland and it didn't stop raining for three days. It did the usual cardboard effect thing but it didn't let any water in.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
In general the SASSKit smocks do all this very well. It seems important to have a three-piece hood shape (with a flat panel over the top of your head)otherwise you end up looking like a pixie, which can be a downside of some of the Hilltrek hoods. SASS also have a drawstring volume adjuster on the back of the hood (anchored at four points) and a very good hood shape which also lies nicely when not in use. The SASS hood is not wired.

Another point to think about on hood design is to have the front drawcord ends fastened down rather than flapping free, to prevent them whacking you in the face when windy.

SASS smocks either have a velcro cuff or woollen cuff. The woollen cuff is an interesting alternative and very cosy, but can't be rolled up and can get soggy.

Lots of people on here have SASS smocks so it should be possible to find one to look at.
Hope that helps
NS

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE