Itchy red spots on skin after lying on grass.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Hey, I was just lying on the grass outside resting on my arms then I noticed I started getting loads of red spots on my skin where the grass has touched a bit like a rash.

They aer a bit itchy and I've noticed my skin being itchy after grass before but never ntoiced red spots.

Does anyone know what this is and how to get rid of it/prevent it?

Thanks,
Asa.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Sounds like hives (an allergic reaction) - an antihistamine tablet or cream would deal with them. I get them from contact with conifers and dogs (doesn't stop me having two labradors though).

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I had a look at hives and it seemed right but then I noticed it said raised itchy bumps, Mine are more like blemishes, just dots on the skin, not raised at all.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Hmm, I don't think they are itchy actually, I think that was just a one off. They feel like now, they are just very visible.

I don't mind having the spots, I just want to know if I can lie out for hours without having to worry.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Spoke to my mum about it and apparrently she gets them too from lying in grass but it never gets bad.

Case closed really, thanks for the replies everyone!

Sterling

I think you are suffering from.. keratosis pilaris can be generalized as a seborrhec condition that leads to itchy skin. This condition has nothing to do with overactive sebaceous glands, as is the case with acne are...

*Moisture is very helpful in treating keratosis pilaris, especially during winter months.
*Cleanse daily with a moisturizing cleanser. Gently exfoliate using a loofah, washcloth or exfoliating cream.
*Lactic-acid creams can be irritating to the skin. Start using slowly and gradually increase your usage as your tolerance increases.
*The best diet for your skin is one packed full of fruits, vegetables and omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids are great for improving the texture of your skin.
*Avoid any allergens or irritants that might cause your keratosis pilaris to flare up. This can include smoking, perfumes, laundry detergents that are strongly scented, dust mites and mold.
*It may take two to three months to notice significant improvement with home remedies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I think you are suffering from.. keratosis pilaris can be generalized as a seborrhec condition that leads to itchy skin. This condition has nothing to do with overactive sebaceous glands, as is the case with acne are...

*Moisture is very helpful in treating keratosis pilaris, especially during winter months.
*Cleanse daily with a moisturizing cleanser. Gently exfoliate using a loofah, washcloth or exfoliating cream.
*Lactic-acid creams can be irritating to the skin. Start using slowly and gradually increase your usage as your tolerance increases.
*The best diet for your skin is one packed full of fruits, vegetables and omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids are great for improving the texture of your skin.
*Avoid any allergens or irritants that might cause your keratosis pilaris to flare up. This can include smoking, perfumes, laundry detergents that are strongly scented, dust mites and mold.
*It may take two to three months to notice significant improvement with home remedies.

Hmm, It's a good guess but it's definitely not keratosis. The spots I get aren't raised at all and they only appear in summer when I've been lying on grass for half an hour or more. I'm almost 100% certain it's very mild hives brought on by the grass pollen.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Hay fever... I get the same if the dogs have been running through the grass, and pick up one type of pollen.

Antihistamines will quickly reduce the rash.

Hope this was of some help, al.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hay fever... I get the same if the dogs have been running through the grass, and pick up one type of pollen.

Antihistamines will quickly reduce the rash.

Hope this was of some help, al.

I get this too, good job summer only lasts about a week isnt it! :)

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I would also suggest having a chat with your local pharmacist, they will be able to identify and suggest a treatment, my guess would be anti histamines.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE