Hot drink v hot water bottle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
Im sure i cant be the first to have wondered which is more effective. Has anyone else taken a proper/scientific approach to evaluate which is better?

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
I find a Hot drink before I get into my doss means that about 2 hours later I am able to make up a hot water bottle with little difficulty.....I am also at an age where it is not too difficult (and often necessary) to refill the hot water bottle every couple of hours.

D.B.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
I find a Hot drink before I get into my doss means that about 2 hours later I am able to make up a hot water bottle with little difficulty.....I am also at an age where it is not too difficult (and often necessary) to refill the hot water bottle every couple of hours.

D.B.

LOL Me too mate, me too.

Kitharode

Forager
May 16, 2016
Todmorden
LOL - me three mate, me three...

If you're near cold water then wash your feet (and anything else you care to) in it, rub dry, doss down. Roasty toasty. :)

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
I've (seriously) known some elderly patients in Derbyshire to make hot drinks in them, using them to warm themselves 'inside and out'... as well as use them as urinals (hopefully getting this in the right order... unless you're Bear Grylls of course, who's not too fussy!)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
If i was really really cold like hypothermia danger then definitely a hot water bottle, most of the people pulled out of the water when the Titanic sank died because they were given a hot drink, they drank it and their body registered inner warmth and started recirculating the blood from the extremeties and the surface of their skin which was still freezing cold and they died when that blood reached their organs

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
I remember while studying a-level biology, that drinking a hot drink can actually cool you down if its hot enough and you drink it quickly, because it tricks your brain into thinking you are hot, so you sweat more and your blood vessels dilate, even a tiny increase in sweat can cool you quite a bit

Drinking it slowly doesn't do the same though :) not a fan of hot water bottles, i sleep hot anyway, even when its close to freezing my hands are hanging out the sleeping bag lol

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Im sure i cant be the first to have wondered which is more effective. Has anyone else taken a proper/scientific approach to evaluate which is better?

Yes, the Germans did some experiments in the first half of the 1940's with hypothermia and how to reverse it.
Optimally the person should be immersed in water just slightly warmer that the patients body, then very slowly brought up to normal temperature.
Drinking luke warm drinks speeded up the process. If you take in a hot drink while hypothermic can be dangerous as others have pointed out.

So I say - first a hot water bottle in the sleeping bag, then when you warm up, drink it.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Yup. When cold periferal blood hits your core, you heart clamps.

Dr. John Hayward, University of Victoria, Victoria, British Columbia has amassed a body of research into hypothermia.
Student volunteer victims and a fabulous warm tank for revival. Mustang Survival gear for civilian and military use came out of his lab.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE