Hello from South East Cornwall

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all,

Just saying a quick hello as I'm new to these boards. I'm new to "bushcraft" too. Have been running round in the outdoors for a few years now, mostly hiking, rock climbing and mountain walking. In this time I've naturally gained an interest in generally surviving in the wild - an interest which was piqued on a recent mountaineering trip in the Swiss and French Alps.

Since I've been back I've dusted off my brother's "Bushcraft" book by Ray Mears that I bought him for his birthday a few years back and bought a Frosts training knife. I've been playing around whittling spoons and lighting fires from sparks (haven't tried friction fire-lighting yet) and started reading these forums. I definitely feel I've found an interest that ties together all the threads of my outdoor pursuits and look forward to many years of expanding my experiences in the outdoors using bushcraft as well as the other skills I have learned.

I'm based in South East Cornwall... anyone else from around the area? Any ideas of woods where it's feasible to stay out and build shelters and light fires?

Anyway, that wasn't as quick as I thought it would be! Look forward to talking to you all.

Cheers,

Dave

I live in Liskeard...

Have just spotted your post about the weekend at Talland Bay, sounds interesting. Unfortunately I've just bought a car and am right at the end of my pay month so I'm brassic 'til I get paid again on Wednesday! I might pop round at some point over the weekend if I can scrape together enough pennies to put petrol in my new machine but I can't promise anything...

Do you know of many sites (I'm mainly thinking of woodland) that are conducive to bushcraft in the local vicinity - places you can stay the night, make shelters and light a fire? Most of my time 'til now has been spent on the moors - Bodmin Moor and Dartmoor and I want to branch (pardon the pun) out a bit.

Anyways, nice to meet you - I might see you around soon. Take care and have fun at the weekend if I don't make it for a visit.

Dave

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
Yeah pop down for a brew if you can make it!

Local woods - not too sure. Theres plenty about but as the ones down this way are mostly private you'd need to start sweet talking land owners I guess.

Let me know if you have any luck.

j

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Good to have you on Bushcraft UK, it looks like you’ve made some friends already, good for you, it’s always best to get stuck in.

Enjoy the site

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE