Grave of the Fireflies Live action

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I don't know if anyone is familiar with the Japanese anime film `Grave of the fireflies` but I read it has been remade as a live action film in 2008 and Id be interested to hear if anyone has watched it and if its worth it?

The anime film is well worth a watch, it is based on a true story of a brother and his younger sister, orphaned by the war and taking refuge in an abandoned bomb shelter on the fringe of civilisation where they attempt to live off wild food they gather and what ever they can beg/steal. If you think a cartoon cannot move you to tears, you probably never watched this gut wrenching horror!
True to reality, The film is a documentation of their slow starvation. Im not giving anything away by saying that as the opening scene is actually the final scene of the movie - the boy starving to death with the only thing left in his possesion , a sweet tin he filled with his sisters ashes.

There arent that many realisitic survival films out there, and so this one is worth the watch. hopefully the live action film will be translated to english (or has it already? I dont know)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbEyjUsWKZA

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Fascinating.

I looked at your thread cos of the title as our NGO is thinking of doing a documentary of the life of a river from source to industrail areas to sea. Conregational fire fly habitats are endangered and soon the river may well become a grave for them.

According to wikipedia the film has ben translated and is on DVD and relaesed earlier this year. Will keep a look out for it. Tremendous praise from mainstream critics for the anime version.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Ah one of the few ghibli animations i've not actually seen. sounds like a fun night tho, watch the anime then watch the live action!

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Ah one of the few ghibli animations i've not actually seen. sounds like a fun night tho, watch the anime then watch the live action!

I loved nearly all the studio Ghibli films. Princess Mononoke and My neighbor Totoro are excellent. Grave of the Fireflies is quite different from their other works though, being firmly aimed at adults.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
my neighbour Totoro is just plain weird!
although not as weird as Pom Poko. they're racoons who can change into humans
seriously it weirded me out big time

my kids love the ghibli films, i think Kiki's delivery service or howls moving castle might be their fave. mine would have to be Laputa or Norsica!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE