Flowers in the forest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Over the past 65+ years I've watched a nearby Forestry Commission woodland slowly change from rank after close rank of dark evergreens standing on a pine needle strewn woodland floor, to a different world of broadleaved trees and sunlit glades. Today was hot and sunny and a wander in the cool green forest beckoned.

Locally, the harvest is virtually all in and the land has that sunny sleepy feel about it..

j87pXgcl.jpg

Vmm8Mx2l.jpg

The White Horse isn't ancient, it was originally cut in 1838 to commemorate Queen Victoria's coronation, and then re-cut and tidied up in 1924. The National Trust look after it now. I like to see it, on a hot summers day such as today it seems to glow against the dark green of the Downland.

This is older...:D

kImXAHjl.jpg

The Saxon church in the village. This is the very Eastern most border of Alfred's Wessex. He hunted from the village and the sparse remains of his small 'Palace' can still be seen.

Come on girls...now change places...share the shade nicely please....

7NRG5jol.jpg

You will quickly gather that I have a fondness for Wild Flowers, so you might want to skip the next few photos..:D

Seen along the forest edge..

lYmpMTpl.jpg

Fleabane glowing in the sunlight.

WO1nSBMl.jpg

Wild Parsnip..looks a bit like Alexanders from a distance but close up it has fern like leaves.

98PAy6wl.jpg

Hemp Agrimony

w6hpTW4l.jpg

Wayfaring Tree..well he will be when he grows up a bit..;)

ahOciUql.jpg

I did my annual daft trick again.." I'll just taste this Sloe" Yuuukk!....:lmao:

u4SQM4Pl.jpg

Wild Teasels coming to the end of their flowering and getting their business hooks out...

ymCM3uMl.jpg

Willow Herb.

And into the wood..

BDyiknil.jpg

20xM8msl.jpg

Each clear patch had it's quota of Dragon Flies ( or Damsels) dancing in the sunlight, but they don't show up with my dodgy camera skills..Look, just press the button Wicca and hope for the best...:lmao:

elMvXTdl.jpg

Brew time..and a handy seat.

FjW5rYfl.jpg

The pack is a hodge-podge model...my speciality..;) A surplus pack, Czech I think, married to an old time (early 1970's) Cobmaster frame. The pack is bombproof if a touch unfashionable, with it's metal clips and rivets ( I don't care...:lmao: ) I much prefer an exterior frame on my smaller packs and this combo works really well...for me. There's an issue web belt fitted to the frame and an extra small belt pouch for the camera.

ojug1KMl.jpg

rBb9DPtl.jpg

The Wheel is turning, on the way out of the wood I walked over this sun dappled patch of fallen Sycamore leaves and the air smelled like Autumn

16MpGuFl.jpg

:)

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Lovely looking wood. I was out collecting bleaberries last week and could smell a hint of autumn in the woods. The horse chestnut and birch trees have already started changing colour and losing their leaves.

My first large pack was an external framed Cobmaster in about 1985 when I was 13, it carried all my kit on my first independent adventures.

Cheers, Michael.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Beautiful wander Wicca :D lovely to see, and thank you for sharing it.

Strange isn't it ? how different the plants are across this island ?

M

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Lovely post thanks for sharing. Although......

You should all be banned for a week for mentioning the "A" word. I am still waiting for summer!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE