Encouraging photography in children

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We've got a bright 4 year old who's been playing with cameras for a year or two, both compact and phone cameras. He's a bit abstract in what he takes, can't hold the camera straight except by chance. But he has taken close up shots of his toys, had a spell taking those sorts of shots. They're pretty good for his age.

My question is what camera to get to encourage him further and to get our camera back? We're looking at kid's cameras with big handles like the vtech ones. Trouble is they're low megapixels as in less than 2mp. Has anyone bought their young child a camera and what did you get?

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I think the thing with kids is, to make sure they can see what they have taken instantly, and to keep it as simple as possible to keep them interested, I gave my granddaughter a Canon 10D, and a few lenses, and although very enthusiastic for some time, her interest is now with her smartphone which has built in apps to manipulate the pics etc, my other granddaughter (age 6) uses the Vtech Camera and is quite enthralled by it, but like anyone young or old, once used to it always wants something better...and more expensive.

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
Our 2 girls (now 6 and 4) just have a couple of old digital cameras of ours and go through phases of taking loads of photos. They had a short phase of loving taking videos of each other as well) but digital, so they get a nice big preview and instant feedback is great!
We used our old cameras but from our experience if trawl eBay for a compact digital, preferably dust, or even weather proof with a bit of a zoom to play with. One old Kodak I have automatically switches to macro mode which would be ideal for all those close ups of bugs and plants my girls love, but neither of them like the camera! They like the ones they have and basically don't want to "upgrade".

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
In fact, something like this, but secondhand and cheaper and older! I wouldn't get too hung up on resolution. If I go back to my old Kodak DC01 (I think) 1 megapixel camera shots, they still look OK ish on a screen. Having a knockabout camera of their own was our point. Like you, to save our own!

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112028441882

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Dec 10, 2016
yorkshire
Do children really need encouragement to get invloved with technology these days, they are suroounded by it. Their friends have phones so they obviously want them. Kids are taken photos regularly now at a much younger age than they ever were.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I grew up in a family of photograhers and always have a harsh disdain for them.

I use a camera as a tool, for my work, recording things and Ebay, of course.

Curiously, I am always praised for my pics...mainly because I know what I want to see...

...Or maybe photo skill is inherited?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've done analog B&W for 50+ years. Work & research tool, commercial tool, documentation, yes.
Just pictures for the sake of pictures, almost never.

I believe that digital can be a fast track to the elements of lighting and composition.

Dad was an enthusiastic amateur (built his own enlarger, etc.) The family tradition, it seems, was documentation
of family, the people, places and things. There are thousands of B&W negs in our family archives.
I got a junk box of 1,000 sheets of single weight and proof printed everything back to early 1949.
Ran out of enthusiasm. Period. Have a Canon 8800 scanner but no desire.

I don't know at what point any kid begins to comprehend photography. Kids are all so different.
I've got a point&shoot Kodak Easyshare 100 which fills my digital needs. In fact far more than I have ambition to do.
I think it would make a great kids' camera as an image source.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Photo class at college use pinhole cameras, -lad I saw with a nice one around his neck.

What better intro to photography than simple DIY? We all comprehend that complex gadgets can make pictures...why not simple items?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have a cardboard box, the size of a dozen 750ml wine bottles, full of pinhole camera materials
brass shim stock, useful hole drills, film holders, big tin can camera bodies etc.
The hard part was finding big film, eventually scored some 5" x 7" B&W.
In Canada, you can't mail-order even dry packet chems. So that was a trip back east
to get that done.
Next up is to find big enough glass bottles to mix a batch. We used to have a Return-It bottle depot where
you could also go to buy bottles for just 2x what they paid out. Closed up tight.

APUG.Org Forums has one for the Pinhole Gang. Lots of useful links to exposure charts.
I'll get to it.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thank you peaks! That's just about my 70+ kids' speed camera for myself. Water resistant would be useful.

Shooting 4x5 with all movements to correct distortions, digital is a little flaccid.

Turnstone

Apr 9, 2013
Germany
There are several models of waterproof and shockproof (will survive being dropped) cameras out there (Nikon AW, Olympus tough etc.), you might want to look for a used one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE